1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite movie throwaway lines/scenes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I think my favourite throwaway line from that movie was when drunken Becca was trying to get drunken Evan to take advantage of her.

Becca: "I'm so wet."

Evan: "They said that would happen, in health class."

A close second would be Seth recalling how his elementary school principal thought Seth was possessed by a "dick devil."

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

"Congratulations, kid. You learned a valuable lesson: Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut."

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"I was really rooting for you, Butch."

"Well, thank you, Flatnose. That's what sustained me in my time of trouble."

I flat love William Goldman's screenplay for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". All the dry little lines and scene descriptions, just wonderfully done.

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Butch_Cassidy_and_the_Sundance_Kid.pdf

The knife fight scene, just previous to the above:

BUTCH

moving through the gang toward Logan. He is unarmed and a knife is offered to him by one of the gang.

BUTCH

Not yet.

(moving up to Logan now)

Not until Harvey and me get the rules straight

LOGAN

Rules? In a knife fight?! No Rules!

As he finishes speaking, Butch delivers the most aesthetically exquisite kick in the balls in the history of modern American cinema.

Yeah. Like that.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

From Field Of Dreams: "What does THAT have to do with baseball?"

I know this isn't a movie and this thread is geared toward movies, but one throwaway line from the Lily Tomlin skit "Joan Crawford" cracked me up. After Mommy Dearest hangs up on Ernestine, she dials a number again and says, "Put me through again, Phoenecia!"

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

From Malcolm X: when Malcolm and Shorty get sent to prison and Shorty faints because he doesn't know what concurrently means and thought he was going to jail for 150 years. Also, when Malcolm is preaching and he sees Shorty in the audience and starts preaching to him as he tries to hide.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If I've gathered the definition of "throw away line" correctly, Young Frankenstein has some classics..

Igor: You know, I'll never forget my old dad. When these things would happen to him... the things he'd say to me.
    Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What did he say?
    Igor: "What the hell are you doing in the bathroom day and night? Why don't you get out of there and give someone else a chance?"

Inga: He vould have an enormous schwanzstucker.
    Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: That goes without saying.
    Inga: Voof.
    Igor: He's going to be very popular.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Igor, help me with the bags.
    Igor: [Imitating Groucho Marx] Soitenly. You take the blonde, I'll take the one in the toiben.
    Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: I was talking about the luggage.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Top Gun

Wolfman (watching fighter jet video): This gives me a hard on.
    Hollywood: Don't tease me.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Major League

We shoulda got the live chicken.

9. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The Princess Bride, but not the quotes everyone thinks of first:

Inigo Montoya: I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?
    Man in Black: Do you always begin conversations this way?

Miracle Max: Get back, witch.
    Valerie: I'm not a witch, I'm your wife. But after what you just said, I'm not even sure I want to be that any more.

(as Inigo Montoya and Fezzik push their way through a crowd)
    Inigo Montoya: Excuse me... Pardon me, please, it's important... Fezzik, please?
    Fezzik: EVERYBODY MOVE!
    (and everybody clears the way)
    Inigo Montoya: Thank you.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

"Go away or I'll call the brute squad."
    "I'm on the brute squad."
    "You are the brute squad."

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Fast Times at Ridgemont High: "I woke up in a great mood; I don't know what the hell happened."

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

When Maverick is on his way to leave with the Indians: "At least when they cut my hands off, my lucky shirt will fit."

Draft saved Draft deleted