1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, The Leftovers on HBO

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 29, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Did anyone watch the Leftovers pilot?

Bleak doesn't begin to explain it.

The premise is three years after two percent of the population disappears, the world goes on.

Written by Damon Lindloff, of Lost fame, the show seems designed to be riddles inside mysteries wrapped in a juicy conundrum. Or something like that.

I'm not sure yet if I'll watch it again.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

sensational. i'm all in. cant wait to watch pilot at least twice more before ep 2!!

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Just about the watch the pilot after I finish the second episode of The Last Ship

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Posted about it in the TV thread ... really gripping start. Spent the entire show worried something awful was about to happen at every turn. Really good use of music, I thought. And the GR people ... so creepy. I'm totally in on this.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Yep. Confusing, depressing and disturbing, yet intriguing and gripping. I'm hooked.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Liked it but didn't love it.
    I'll definitely stick with it for another episode or two at least.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm in for at least a few episodes, though I didn't love the pilot. Got a kick out of picking out scenes shot in a town near me. Thought it was an interesting premise. I especially liked the bit with the dogs.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Damon Lindelof writing a complex mystery full of riddles? No thanks.

It's really easy to write mysterious story if you never have to worry about actually explaining it. Fuck that guy.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's on at 10 eastern/9 central on HBO2 tonight for those interested.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Have it on TIVo. Will get to it. Lindeloff does give me pause. But Tom Perrotta is a great writer an he's heavily involved too. (It's based on his book.) I think he'll balance out Lindeloff's crazy. Lindeloff also seems so incredibly butt hurt over people's reaction to LOST, I doubt he'll fuck up a landing that badly again. I disliked the ending of LOST as much as anyone (though I didn't retroactively hate the entire series, just the entire final season) but I would have more respect for Lindeloff of he wasn't still whining in every interview about how hard it's been and how sad he is that people didn't like his ending. I wish he was just like "Disnt like it? Fuck you then. It was my show. It ended how I wanted it to end." Instead he comes across as a sniveling wet napkin.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What concerns me is that I've heard an interview in which Lindelhoff said he hopes the viewers look past the mystery to focus on the characters. Sounds like exactly the kind of thinking that could lead to another ending like Lost.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I watched it tonight. Thought it was pretty compelling. It's easy to forget with the ending how good LOST could be at times (The Constant, Through The Looking Glass, etc.). This was a good reminder of some of that. I do think LOST has one of the all-time great pilots. And pilots are hard to write. It will be interesting to see how much people are turned off by the super natural elements. I saw an interview with Perrotta where he was like "Yeah, I'm not so into that stuff. That's Damon's thing." I want to say that HBO's creative team wouldn't let Lindeloff go too far down the rabbit hole, but this is the sane network of John From Cincinatti so who knows.

I like Theroux as an actor. I'm already assuming part of his guilt as a survivor is that he was not banging his wife who the incident happened.

I'll give it a season.

Draft saved Draft deleted