1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite movie throwaway lines/scenes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

That one is awesome.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

In "Slap Shot," when Reggie is listening to the car radio and hears Killer Carlson dedicate everything to him and to the Swami Baha. Reggie clicks off the radio and sighs, "Jesus Christ, what a fuckin' nightmare."

Throwaway line, yet it was Paul Newman's favourite line he'd ever delivered in front of a camera.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The end of the opening chase scene from "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," when the bad guys are waiting at Indy's house and simply take the Cross of Coronado by outwitting him with a made-up story.
    Before leaving, the lead thief turns back, smiles at Indy, gives him the fedora, and says, "You lost today, kid. It doesn't mean you have to like it."

It's another little line that has always stuck with me when things aren't going my way.

4. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Ugh! Why was that cut out? What a great scene. Thanks for that, Killick. And Bev D. looks fantastic.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Another couple of lines from that film. When Indy and his dad escape from the zeppelin with the little plane, his dad tells him that he didn't know he knew how to fly. As Indy disengages the plane, he says, "Fly? Yes. Land? No."

Hen, after he crash lands the plane into the barn, his dad says, "Nice landing." Indy thanks him.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Ghostbusters: A couple from Peter Venkman in Dana Barrett's apartment: [tickling two piano keys] They hate this. I like to torture them.

Barrett: That's the bedroom, but nothing's ever happened in there.
    Venkman: What a crime.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

To me, the scene levels and humanizes Dirk more than any after he meets Jack.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Basically anything Otis says in that movie would work for this discussion. I especially love the book club scene.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was gonna make espresso.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

War Games: "Put X in the center square" gets me every time.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Nailed 'em both.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Liked that one... and from the same movie, the general: "I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would do any good!"

Draft saved Draft deleted