1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite movie scene

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

As usual, you nailed it, DJ. The books on each movie (never found one on Rocky V) offer so much more detail, perspective, etc., which is to be expected. In fact, it's the depth of the stories that made Apollo my favorite character in the series, believe it or not.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I can see that, too. Part of why I said he felt like it was the moment Apollo realized he was in trouble. He just did everything he could to put Rocky down, gave him his last best shot, and Rocky gets back up -- and there's still a round and a half left.
    Just shows why that one small shot is so great. There's so much information packed into just a look and a reaction. If you were writing the game story on that fight and happened to catch that moment, it'd be a powerful lead.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Batman: Couldn't agree more! The fact the exact moment we are discussing isn't even a spoken line testifies to how powerful Apollo putting his head down and slumping his shoulders is. The fact nothing need be said makes it even that much more meaningful.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

What pissed me off about that final round is it seemed like it was being depicted in real time, yet it only lasted 60 seconds.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

DJ: Agreed. In fact, in the long chat I had with Carl Weathers years ago, I brought up a few things, such as that. He said he and Sly trained for months, working on every detail of the rematch to make sure it came off perfectly. One of the things he mentioned were the slo-mo scenes. He said those punches couldn't be pulled at all.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Randomly pulled out Dead Poets Society to watch. Forgot how much I loved the last scene.

Oh, Captain, My Captain.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Heat" has been making its way into the Encore channel rotation lately. The bank robbery scene holds up 20 years later as one of the most intense sequences ever put to film.
    Hell, that whole movie is a classic, almost an underrated one. If I have somewhere to be and drop in on it, I have to make myself turn it off or I'll get sucked in for the full three hours.

8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Confession scene from The Seventh Seal.

Mentioned this movie the other day in the movies thread, but a great scene from dark comedy God Bless America.

YouTube

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Two that I don't think have been mentioned:

Final scene in The Godfather: Michael tells Kate not to ask about his business and then she leaves the room and waits in the hallway as Clemenza kisses his hand and calls him the godfather. The look on her face as the door closes still gets to me.

I want you scene from Bull Durham: Annie bursts into Crash's apartment and gets onto him for meddling with the winning streak. They get into an argument and at the end, she realizes she's really in love with him and says, "I want you." Crash plays it off, but he wants to say the same thing.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The entire accidental shooting/Keitel cleanup segment of Pulp Fiction.

Wahlberg, Reilly and Thomas Jane's visit to Albert Molina's house in Boogie Nights.

The Miami restaurant setup from Porky's II.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As you might guess from my avatar, I love this movie.

That scene is an all-time great. The sound of the gunfire still strikes me as the most realistic sounding gunfire I've heard in a film. With a good surround system, it's just amazing.

And the scene between Pacino and DeNiro is not to be overlooked. Great acting. I remember how odd it seemed when the film was released that they had never shared the screen until that scene.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The only thing that bugs me about the bank robbery scene is the timing of how the cops find out about the job and are able to round up the posse for the intercept.
    Danny Trejo is on his way to the job when he calls Neil to tell him he's being tailed. Waingro finds out about the bank job by torturing Trejo, then calling Henry Rollins who in turn relays that info to the cops. Trejo says he's going to lead the cops away, so you figure he drove around until the time he knew the robbery was supposed to take place, so when did he go home to be ambushed by Waingro? Even if he went straight home, it'll be a few minutes before he gets there, and some more time for Waingro to crack him.
    All of this supposedly happens while Neil's crew is sitting in the diner, which they presumably leave to go straight to the bank. So a span of 30 minutes, maybe? It seems like an awfully tight window for a lot of important action to take place.
    It doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie or that scene at all, but it is a bit of a plot hole in an otherwise tight script.

Draft saved Draft deleted