1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports director -- Louisville Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jun 28, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Courier-Journal Media is seeking a dynamic leader to drive the transformation of one of the top sports departments into a digital leader in our market. The Courier-Journal won the Triple Crown from the APSE, being judged among the Top 10 sections 75,000-150,000 circulation in daily sections, Sunday sections and special sections. Building on this leadership in print, we seek a Sports Director who can help shape how we serve readers across all digital platforms as well as print. Among other things, he or she will drive new approaches to covering University of Louisville and University of Kentucky sports programs, a vibrant high school sports scene, and the Kentucky Derby and other horse racing.

The Sports Director will oversee the sports content-creation team to strategically shape the mix of content, information and experiences each day, steering content around audiences' needs and interests across platforms.

The Sports Director will work with reporters and content editors to establish each journalist's weekly and monthly strategic plan, redirecting individuals' plans when necessary to balance or complete the group's work. The person in this role will define which content is best suited for different platforms and align the content-creation team to best support different formats. He/she will develop new ways of presenting content, especially new approaches to digital publishing. He/she will establish and enforce quantity and quality standards for sports content-creation team members, and will establish and enforce deadlines. As with all positions, excellent customer service is required, including helping readers find answers and solutions.

The Sports Director must possess exceptional planning and organizational skills, the ability to understand metrics and use them to shape planning, thorough industry knowledge, excellent core journalism skills (reporting, producing, editing), great communication skills and a thorough command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct. The Sports Director must possess a deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers' time and money, and the ability to build coalitions around evolving needs. The individual in this role must be self-motivated and self-directed and must manage change effectively.

https://career4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=Gannett&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=33704&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=kGDMhSMaFOli25BoLNP1D2iiYWA%3d

2. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Interesting that the Cincy shop will be looking for a new sports editor in the next few weeks as well.
    Two big-boy Gannett jobs in close proximity. Are these two shops tied in any other way?
    I know this will be at least the third and perhaps fourth new Cincy SE in the past 6-7 years. Just curious if there's a concern we should be aware of at an executive level creating turnover at such high-profile positions in the same company.
    These would be top-of-the-line paying jobs in our profession. Getting there should be a career capper, not a turnstyle, correct?

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You would think. Have to wonder if Cincy promotes from within and creates an opening.

I mentioned this in another thread, but where is Creig Ewing going? I don't know Creig but he's been straightforward with me on a couple of openings in the past and I hope he will still be involved in sports somehow. For all the trouble the C-J has had it's still a good paper.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Maybe they're gonna have a print sports editor and a digital sports editor

5. bevo

bevo Member

Doubt they will split digital and print. Gannett just laid off a bunch of managers at Louisville.

6. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

This would be the third sports editor for the Executive Editor, who came to Cincinnati in January of 2011. The previous two have been there less than two years before leaving.
    By the way, the Executive Editor at Cincinnati made news of her own when she was at her previous stop in Des Moines:
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/014/470waesg.asp

7. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

I doubt they split into 2 jobs. Don't know of too many shops adding jobs. Shedding them more likely.
    Didn't Barry Forbis leave Cincy shortly after arriving?

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

You know, I'm so tempted, but, well, Gannett. And after what happened at this very paper in recent weeks...

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Barry was there, I want to say, about two years. The Cincinnati deputy SE also resigned around the same time he left.

10. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I wonder if I put in my cover letter "I will work cheap" would get me put on top of the list

11. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Barry was there from July of 2010 until March of 2012.
    The guy who is leaving got hired late July of 2012.
    They already have two assistants -- one responsible for print and one for digital -- so they could just elect not to fill it and just have them run it.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Just eliminate the position? No way!

Draft saved Draft deleted