1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes this piece bad, Vol 1: Ann Coulter on soccer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jun 26, 2014.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No. It does not.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Agreed. And you don't even have to say it sucks. All you have to do is say something on the level of "Yeah, well, I'm not real thrilled with it," and you're going to get an earful. Then they'll fall back on the argument that non-soccer fans lack the intellectual capacity to appreciate the sport.
    Telling a soccer fan you don't like soccer is like telling a Glee fan you don't like Glee. Get ready to duck.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

There is actually an app that allows you to block soccer posts on Twitter.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Why does everyone have to shit on everything?

I get into soccer every four years. I like the atmosphere and the pageantry, but in between, I watch no soccer, unless I'm working on a story.

I don't need someone telling me I should care about the EPL, La Liga, MLS or anything in between. I don't need someone telling me I shouldn't care about the World Cup, either. I'll chose what I want to watch, thanks. Everyone else should do the same and shut the fuck up about it.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Vegan soccer fans are the worst.

6. Hard to complain about soccer fans
    Hockey fans are notorious for this.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I love how people turn "I knew one or two fans who reacted this way" into "every soccer fan is like this."

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And a rebuttal ...

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/6/27/5844602/world-cup-grumps-ann-coulter-dan-shaughnessy

9. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

I'm kind of the same way. I covered the 1994 World Cup and it was incredible. The nationalism was far better than anything you ever see at the Olympics.

I usually watch the US matches at the World Cup. It helps that they're on during the summer when our sports menu is limited.

But in most years, I won't watch anything other than football or basketball.

It's always amazing the letters we would get at the paper about not covering enough soccer.

10. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Sorry, that's bullshit.

It's obviously not every soccer fan, but it's at a much, much higher level than most other sports. Soccer fans are like prep parents.

We would have people who would call when we didn't travel with the local MLS team. They would call when we didn't send a writer on the road with the national team during qualifying. They would wonder why it wasn't on Page 1. The fan club of the local MLS team sent us a petition to have us travel with the MLS team and when they found out we were sending one person to France for the World Cup in 1998, they were mad that we didn't send as many writers to the Olympics.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Soccer fans have the zeal of missionaries. It's off-putting to some.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You obviously didn't spend much time around UFC fans when that organization was at its zenith.

Draft saved Draft deleted