1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Jun 3, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If they weren't allowed to get paid in the first place, this would never happen.

Just one more reason everyone should do sports stuff like America does.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

In Baron's telling of the story, is Kevin Prince Boateng "Person B" or "Person C"?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've been listening to some UK sports talk and the presenters are raving about the job Klinsmann is doing. They no longer see the U.S. as a soccer joke, nor should they, considering we're still there and they're back in ol' Blighty.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

By any objective standard, the U.S. is a respectable mid-major. I think only some Americans don't see that.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'd agree with the mid-major assessment. But I also wonder how people worldwide view Mexico.

6. Football_Bat

Sounds like it's going to be a nine-match ban for Suarez, which is typical FIFA weak sauce.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nine international matches and four months from all football.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28023882

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Just to recap: Ghana is a team in complete turmoil, largely over money. It has been implicated, not without credibility, in match-fixing allegations. And today's referee is from ... Uzbekistan.

One suspects that perhaps some Asian gamblers might be doing very nicely come this evening.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

US-Germany is on despite Recife floating away.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Unless Germany runs a train on the USMNT, if Portugal manages to sneak through, there should be an investigation.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That would be so FIFA if Portugal wins 6-0.

12. Football_Bat

The tone of that one will be apparent early. I don't expect terribly much action in the U.S.-Deutschland spiel early until they suss out the other one.

Draft saved Draft deleted