1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Jun 3, 2014.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Korean players even said the Portuguese players were trying to talk them into fixing the game and have it remain 0-0. Of course, that may have been possible had Portugal not had two red cards.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That US chant is SUPER annoying.

The idiots on Sportscenter yesterday morning were chanting it back and forth, it was as annoying as anything Berman has ever said.

The new Sportscenter anchor looks a little like Starla from the Simpsons

[​IMG]

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There was also absolutely no other sports competition, or even first-run TV entertainment competition that I'm aware of. All of the sports items for the day, even a late-starting NASCAR race, were over or ending when the soccer game started.
    If the World Series started at 6 p.m. Sunday it'd get eaten alive by the NFL. Agree that it and the NBA Finals ought to start earlier during the week, though.

The World Cup is also a special event with a good dose of national pride attached, akin to the Olympics, and held in the summer when people can devote more time and attention to it. Even a great EPL game of the week in that time slot is not pulling a 9.1.
    That World Cup number is phenomenal and should be applauded. Just needs to be pointed out that there are reasons for it, too, that go beyond Americans' increasing appreciation for soccer.
    Of course, 10 years from now when the MLS is our fifth major league, this might be looked at as the turning point. What do I know?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is an event, like the Super Bowl, where people are watching in crowds, whether its 10,000 or 20 people in a house.

I don't believe that 9.1 for a second.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's certainly on the low end of the spectrum.

6. Inky_Wretch

6.5 million watched US-Portugal on Univision.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There aren't four major leagues now.

8. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

You think it's low? The USA-Brazil game in 1994 only got a 10.4.

9. Inky_Wretch

ESPN averaged 18.2 million for the entire match. It peaked with 22.9 million watching from 7:30 to 8 p.m.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually more like 25 years. Starting with XXV, it's been in the 6:15-6:30 kickoff time. Before that, it bounced around, usually in the 4:30-5:15 range, though Super Bowl X had a ghastly 2:15 p.m. EST start.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. These are in-home Nielsen ratings. It's not counting the 10,000 people in Grant Park or all the packed bars and restaurants I saw yesterday -- and I'm not living in one of the top 10 rated markets for the games. But it was a confluence of great timing (6 p.m. game on a Sunday is ideal) and the importance of the match.

Will be interesting to see what the rating is for a noon EDT game Thursday. One-third of Sunday's? One-quarter?

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Brazil being knocked out seemed pretty plausible for a few minutes there. Well, not really, but still...

Draft saved Draft deleted