1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Jun 3, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That is very true.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In the first match, his first touches and passes were horrible. I mean 12U level.

Tonight, he was better. But with 94:21 on the clock, he had the ball at his feet and nobody within 20 yards of him. He lost possession smack in the middle of the field, rather than just booting it as far as he could. Sixteen seconds or so later, the ball was zipping past Howard.

Edit: Looked at the replay, the cross was taken eight seconds after Bradley had the ball in all that space. Eight.

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

On the scale of what I expect from Michael Bradley, he's not delivered. His distribution both today and against Ghana was not good (it's a big part of the reason the U.S. spent so much time in their own end), and he had the ball stripped way too many times in bad spots. He was better today than against Ghana, but not by that much.

The U.S. is fine - they're in as good a position as they probably could have dreamed at this point. But Bradley, imo of course, has not played well as an individual at all. They just don't really have a better option to replace him.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Gut punch of a game. Damn.

Bradley was not good. Cameron was off-the-scale bad.

On the positive side, Jones' goal was a thing of beauty.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That giveaway from Michael Bradley was unacceptable from a player of his experience and stature.

On the other hand ... remember when a few people thought the hiring of Jurgen Klinsmann was a mistake? Or that that USA would go goalless and pointless in this group?

I normally don't buy into the "gentlemen's agreement" but with Klinsmann's status as a German legend, I wouldn't be surprised to see a tie between the USA and Germany. Because I think Ghana bitch-slaps Portugal.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bet on Germany letting up for any reason.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nine scenarios:

U.S. wins, Portugal wins: 1. U.S. 2. Germany or Portugal (Portugal needs to make up 8 goals)
    U.S. wins, Ghana ties: 1. U.S. 2. Germany or Ghana (Ghana needs to make up 5 goals)
    U.S. wins, Portugal-Ghana tie: 1. U.S. 2. Germany

Germany wins, Portugal wins: 1. Germany. 2. U.S. or Portugal (Portugal needs to make up 5 goals)
    Germany wins, Ghana wins: 1. Germany. U.S. or Ghana (Ghana needs to make up 2 3 goals)
    Germany wins, Portugal-Ghana tie: 1. Germany. 2. U.S.

U.S.-Germany tie, Portugal wins: 1. Germany. 2. U.S.
    U.S.-Germany tie, Ghana wins: 1. Germany. 2. U.S.
    U.S.-Germany tie, Portugal-Ghana tie: 1. Germany. 2. U.S.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

So if Ghana and Germany both win 1-0, USA's win over Ghana finally comes into play, correct?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Portugal needing to make up all those goals makes me think they'll lay down for Ghana.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ghana needs to make up three goals. If they make up two goals, U.S. advances.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Right. Third tiebreaker in that instance. Fixed.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Don't lose badly. Park the bus.

Draft saved Draft deleted