1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NBA Playoffs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If he's the mercenary who wins 7 titles on 4 teams, people (fans, sports journos) won't care.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Some Michael Jordan fans make me hate Michael Jordan.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just five more to go. :D

4. MisterCreosote

Does anyone think that the reason Jordan didn't have better teammates may have been because he was an egomaniacal asshole?

5. Mizzougrad96

I've stood next to both. James is far more physically imposing that Jordan and that was James in high school and as a rookie. He's much bigger now.

Jordan is not physically imposing at all, at least not compared to other NBA players. I think it actually makes what he did even more impressive.

6. Mizzougrad96

No. He didn't have better teammates because he had what he needed.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wait. Is this a discussion about teammates? Are people saying that?

I would heavily dispute that. Pippen and Grant were fantastic, and everyone else plugged into the perfect role.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. MisterCreosote

Well, almost everything I've posted today is in response to the inane argument that happened overnight. You can read the previous page, but trying to sum it up in one quote:

That specifically implies that Jordan was surrounded by less talent, which is just not true.

And, once again, he was coached by one of the greatest of all time. James was not and is not.

10. LongTimeListener

I didn't take that as the implication. I took that to about the stick-to-it-iveness or whatever other sporstwritery thing that's supposed to mean.

But, regardless, Jordan had a great team around him. In both runs.

11. MisterCreosote

It's pretty much saying Jordan's championships are worth more than LeBron's because they were with the team that drafted him. Penalizing James for leaving Cleveland for a better team.

Meanwhile, a team most sportswriters and their ilk praise as a true example of "team basketball" over "superstar basketball," the 2003-04 Pistons, had a grand total of four (4) "home-grown" players - Tayshaun Prince being the most notable. And, as an added bonus, they were coached by the biggest vagabond coach in basketball history, who still managed to be regarded as a great coach despite leaving 12 different teams for other jobs.

It's a complete bullshit argument.

12. LongTimeListener

Draft saved Draft deleted