1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ice Storm is an all-timer. It's one of my go-to movies if someone asks me, "Tell me a movie that I haven't seen that I will love..."

I don't know if movies were better in 1997 or if I just think so because at the time, I saw almost everything that hit the theater.

2. Mizzougrad96

It never gets old.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat ... saw a lot of movies in the 1990s, and there were lots of good "indie" films. Once our kids were born (1999 and 2001), seeing critically-acclaimed/rated R movies in the theater mostly went away.

Two of my all-time favorite going-to-the-movies experiences were seeing a bunch of (mostly older) people walk out of the theater during the first 15-20 minutes of "Clerks" and "Trainspotting." These were matinee showings at old-fashioned movie theaters in the Chicago 'burbs, and people saw the good reviews from Siskel and Ebert but couldn't handle the language or subject matter.

4. Mizzougrad96

Clerks and Trainspotting were two of my favorite moviegoing experiences ever.

There was something to be said for knowing next to nothing about a movie and then just being blown away by it. Seeing Pulp Fiction for the first time would be right there as well, but my favorite experience was Reservoir Dogs. I knew zero about it when I went to see it. I saw it with my girlfriend from freshman year shortly after Halloween and during the ear scene she said, "I think we should leave..." and I said, "Are you out of your fucking mind?"

5. Never seen Trainspotting.
    I'm afraid to watch it; worried I'll think its crap because I'm too old.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

See it!

For a movie about junkies killing themselves in Scotland, it's got some hilarious scenes. And the ending is great.

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Saw a screening of Jersey Boys and it was disappointing by Clint Eastwood's standards.
    As a director Eastwood has set the bar so high that Jersey Boys fails to live up to his previous successes like Unforgiven, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby and Letters from Iwo Jima.
    With Jersey Boys, Eastwood included elements of a stage performance, but also included elements of a major feature film and somewhere in between it gets lost.
    While the film includes actors from Tony-winning play, it seemed obvious at times that the actors were lip-syncing themselves and that the instruments shown were not actually being played. While Vincent Piazza (Tommy DeVito) claims all the music was recorded live, it didn't feel or look that way and was a distraction in what otherwise was an enjoyable, emotionally driven story filled with songs you'll recognize in an instant.
    I've never seen the stage performance, but have a feeling I'd enjoy it more.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My No. 1 all-time movie.

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I rented Nebraska last night. It lived up to the hype and accolades. It's very funny.

10. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

"Have you seen the beast? Have you got it in your sights?"

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watched "Admission" last night and it's another movie that was a victim of terrible marketing. "It's got Paul Rudd and Tina Fey! It's got to be hilarious! Here's every joke in the movie!"

Truth is, much like "Silver Linings Playbook," it's not nearly as funny as advertised, but I don't think the filmmakers and actors thought they were making a comedy. It's pretty heartfelt and takes on sensitive topics such as adoption.

It was decent overall and I think I would have enjoyed it quite a bit more had I not been expecting a Paul Rudd/Tina Fey comedy.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Finally saw The Way, Way back. Thought it was really good, Sam Rockwell was tremendous and Steve Carrell was a major-league d-bag. Same guys that wrote The Descendants wrote and directed this. I believe they directed it, could be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted