1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Washington, D.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MLancaster, May 26, 2014.

1. MLancaster

MLancaster New Member

The Washington Times is seeking a sports reporter to join an award-winning staff covering sports and related issues in the nation's capital and beyond.

The successful candidate will be versatile and flexible, able to juggle a variety of assignments across different teams and sports. Must be a team player -- we have a small staff covering a large market and you must be willing and able to shift gears on the fly.

We cover primarily professional and college sports in the Washington, D.C., area, though our scope expands to national trends, events and issues.

Enterprise and the ability to conceive and execute it are highly valued, but the ability to recognize news and willingness drop everything to get it posted online are just as critical. Digital and social media skills also are valued.

Night and weekend hours and occasional travel are required.

No phone calls please. Apply at: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=9483711

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Someone leave or a reporter get promoted to your old job?

3. MLancaster

MLancaster New Member

My old job (deputy sports editor) disappeared a few months ago; I'd been on the universal desk before a certain someone known to all at SportsJournalists.com departed. This is a new reporting position.

4. tacheles

tacheles New Member

Congrats to you, MLancaster -- and good luck, too.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

HINT: if you are going to email someone about this job, it should not be me.

Moddy Seal, by the way. Great opportunity. Marc, filling some HUGE shoes, is aces.

6. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Most. Biased. Post. Ever. :)

7. MLancaster

MLancaster New Member

Quick update: As of this moment, we have received 306 applicants for this position according to the trusty HR system.

If you haven't heard from me directly by now, you probably are not going to be in the mix going forward. If you have heard from me, but not in a while, my apologies. Got quite a bit to sort through here in addition to my day job. Hang with me.

Thanks to all who have expressed interest.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And I am STILL getting emails even though I've been gone seven weeks now. Not going to make an impression on Marc, who is the sports editor, if you are sending stuff to ME.

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

That said, I would be fairly impressed with the stupidity of it all if those emails were addressed to you as "Dear Moddy"

10. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Well, you do still have the website link in your signature. ;-)

But yes, that is ridiculous.

11. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

Could be because your name is still listed as SE on the online masthead. Just a thought.

12. MLancaster

MLancaster New Member

Do some reporting, people!

(No, thanks, Jerry — that has been updated. Didn't realize it hadn't been.)

Draft saved Draft deleted