1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Father's Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think this is my first in 31 years as a dad I haven't spent at least part of the day with one of the kids. One is on a honeymoon and best not call from the Dominican. The other is 300 miles away. The four-legged kid, thankfully, is finally with me at our new home and I'm about to take her on a very long walk and think about how blessed I've been with my children.

If you have a dad, call him (unless you are in the Dominican on a honeymoon)
    If you are a dad, enjoy the day

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The baseball coach scheduled batting practice for the dads.

It is my son's chance to tell my to keep my weight back and not try to do too much. But do more than that!

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I think my oldest would do something like that too! Except the word patience would be involved as well. His coach has also scheduled a scrimmage with dads and parents. Who the heck knows how that will go!

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Was pleasantly surprised (to say the least) to get a Kindle gift card "from" the lovely lady's two boys, apparently at their insistence. While I feel like I'm a long way from getting to "claim" this holiday, it's nice to know I'm on the right track.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Wife and daughter are preparing a Sunday feast and I'm playing with my 6-month-old granddaughter. Doesn't get much better than that.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My two dads are in France right now (they actually were in Monaco yesterday). My stepfather might be on vacation in another part of Maryland, but he lives in Maine.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads on here, and to the fathers, grandfathers, and father figures of all SportsJournalists.commers!

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Update: My son has been in a slump. Not terrible, but not great either, and it has been wearing on him.

First pitch today, I pop up to third. Says the 12-year-old: "He hits exactly like me!"

Line of the day. Good to hear, too, he is loosening up.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Hi Staci Keenan!

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Working today but that's okay. Working all sorts of weird hours and days has been part of my kids' lives (and I'm sure plenty of you here on the board as well).

Our son is off camping with Boy Scouts for four days so he's missing this Father's Day yet he left me this very detailed, typed card on all the things he appreciates me doing for him to, in his words, "make me independent and confident as I grow up". Made my day.

Involved and engaged fathers rock. Absolutely rock. Keep doing it, my fellow fathers out here.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

hope it's been a happy Father's Day for all my fellow dads here on SportsJournalists.com. mrs shockey and the three stooges have been very attentful to my many needs all day. no complaints. 8) :)

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you don't mind saying, where in the NYC area are you living?

Draft saved Draft deleted