1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Saw A Million Ways to Die in the West. I just wanted to laugh. There were a few chuckleworthy moments, but it was among the worst movies I've ever seen. I was ready to leave 15 minutes in, and it never really got better, even with a strong cast. MacFarlane tried too hard to be Mel Brooks. It didn't work.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is the End; some very hilarious parts and some over the top male stuff (penis jokes; rape jokes, etc.)

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For some bizarre reason Retroplex/Movieplex has decided to roll 'Breezy' into heavy rotation; it's been on in semi-prime hours about 3 times in the last 5 days.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"The Ice Storm," director Ang Lee's excellent take on 1970s bourgeois family disfunction, released in 1997.

First time I've seen it since it came out, and it puts me squarely in the age range of the adults in the movie (our kids are the same age as their kids ... thank God we lead boring lives in comparison!).

This made me think a lot more about how the kids are affected by and imitate the mistakes of the parents ... when my wife and I saw it in 1997, pre-children, we laughed a lot more about the "key party," drugs, and heavy drinking.

One other thing: Joan Allen's character and Kate Winslet's character in "Revolutionary Road" are very similar, both in their burnout and what happens to them. At least there were birth control pills in the early 1970s ...

5. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Been movie binge-ing lately with the XBMC. Playing catch up. Knocked out by Barney's Version and Silver Linings Playbook.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Edge of Tomorrow in 3-D. Broke my personal vow not to do 3-D. Didn't add much, if anything. The movie was better than I expected. Video gamers should find it enjoyable. Never been much of an Emily Blunt fan, but she's really starting to grow on me.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Watched James Gandolfini's final movie "Enough Said," with Julia Louis-Dreyfuss. Really made me sad that he won't be around to keep making movies.

Awful lot of dialogue in the movie, but he and Louis-Dreyfuss had a real nice chemistry. And a complete 180 character from Tony Soprano.

8. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I thought the acting was superb, but was disappointed in the movie. I had really high expectations, but they weren't met - mainly because Louis-Dreyfus' character was so awful. It was just a depressing movie.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Finally saw How to Train Your Dragon, and it's in the discussion for best animated movie I have ever seen.

Love the message, buildup, action scenes and characters. It was brilliant giving Toothless the mannerisms of a cat.

10. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Rewatched Fight Club again today. Pure genius.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Took my daughter to see the sequel today. Very much in the spirit of the first one. Plenty of fun with the various dragons and some real character growth in Hiccup and Stoic. One thing I liked about the first one was that there was a cost to all the fighting. They did not lose that, either.

Regarding Toothless, I also enjoy the mannerisms, mostly because they have a mix of a dog and a cat behavior.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Love "Barney's Version."

Woke up in the middle of the night and tried to watch "Stranger Than Fiction" for the first time. Just me or is that picture a little strange?

Draft saved Draft deleted