1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Managing Sports Editor-Naples Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bevo, Jun 3, 2014.

1. bevo

bevo Member

https://www.scripps.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=7944&CurrentPage=17&sid=20

The Naples Daily New seeks a Sports Editor, a key leadership role in one of the most diverse sporting and outdoor communities in the United States. The ideal candidate has proven leadership experience overseeing a team that produces strong enterprise, ground-breaking stories across platforms. A proficiency in social media is key since we operate as a live news station, producing content for the website, social media and do work in our television studio.

Our market is one of the richest for college football talent – high school recruits routinely end up in Division I schools, and the NFL. Golf coverage is a key franchise topic, where the region hosts several professional golf tournaments, and we lead coverage of Florida Gulf Coast University athletics – and its very competitive basketball programs. Outdoor sports include fishing, to hunting, to sailing, to Major League baseball and Spring Training (The Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins play here).

We are looking for an enthusiastic editor, who is creative, a team player, has a sense of urgency, is enterprise-minded and wants to set the agenda for our region. At least 5-years of previous newsroom leadership is required, and a proven track record of building teams and developing talent. Our Sports department is talented, ambitious, quick and the envy of many newsrooms. If you are interested, please post your interest at www.scripps.com/careers.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

This sounds like Tom Hanson's job. Anybody know what happened?

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I think he went undercover as a high school kid.

4. TheWhiskeyDiaries

TheWhiskeyDiaries New Member

"Our Sports department is talented, ambitious, quick and the envy of many newsrooms."

Yup. And good looking to boot...

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I'd apply buy they want someone with five years of management experience. Nobody will give me management experience because I don't have documented management experience

6. RBluhm

RBluhm New Member

I DID apply and got a "thanks but no thanks" email from them in two days. I have to say it has something to do with where I live, not my experience.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Turned down cold, too, 48 hours after applying.

Sigh.

RB

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Which leads you to wonder if they have someone in mind and they hope he/she applies...

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Well, at least they can make a decision, for better or worse. That's rare in management these days.

10. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Or they had someone in line already and just advertised the position out of some legal obligation.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

There is no legal obligation to advertise a job. You might have a company policy to do so. You might have union rules. But think of how many jobs are never advertised -- John or Jane Doe is simply promoted or hired.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Bump?

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted