1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs (predictions and discussions)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Apr 14, 2014.

?

Which team will win the 2014 Stanley Cup?

1. Anaheim Ducks

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Boston Bruins

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Chicago Blackhawks

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Colorado Avalanche

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Columbus Blue Jackets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dallas Stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Detroit Red Wings

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. Los Angeles Kings

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Minnesota Wild

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Montreal Canadiens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. New York Rangers

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  12. Philadelphia Flyers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Pittsburgh Penguins

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  14. San Jose Sharks

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  15. St. Louis Blues

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  16. Tampa Bay Lightning

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Game Seven of the Western Conference final had a 22.7 rating in Chicago and a 4.8 in LA. Not sure NBC is happy that the "larger market" team won.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Half of L.A. was in traffic till at least 6:30 or 7 PST so the "low" numbers shouldn't be all that surprising.

What are the L.A. ratings for the third period and OT? I bet much higher.

3. Michael_ Gee

Unfortunately, LA will be stuck in traffic for all games of the Stanley Cup finals, too.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Chicago is a monster hockey city.

A final between two original six teams would have given NBC enough story lines for 100 games.

Anyway should still be a helluva Final.

5. Michael_ Gee

Oh, I agree.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

That contract was laughable at the time and became even funnier, to all but the Isles. When it happened a hockey writer said 'it's a bad deal for both because it also means if DiPietro reaches or exceeds what the Isles thought his potential was, he can't go out and test the market.' Even if he somehow turned into Brodeur or Roy it was ridiculous because those guys never received such a deal.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not sure if this has changed or not, but I vaguely recall that in 2012 when the Kings reached the final, there was some hullabaloo about some cable companies not carrying NBC Sports Network. Don't know if that is still a problem in southern California or not.

I can see the arguments both ways. I understand NBC is attempting to build a real sports cable network just like ESPN and Turner did years ago. And the only way to get cable systems to carry your network is to create demand for programming. So you put a few major events on the station to get fans upset enough to complain. It's the same sort of battle the NFL Network is fighting now. Heck, I didn't even see ESPN2 for its first five years because there wasn't even an option to purchase it where I lived at the time.

OTOH, when I lived in a different city, I would pay the extra tier charge to get it because it was worth it to me. Where I'm at now, it's on the expanded basic tier, so that's even better.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

The only games scheduled to be on the cable network are 3 and 4. The others are on NBC proper.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yes, been that way a while. It's the cable games that people tend to whine over.

Alright, prediction time: Kings win in 6 games. Lundqvist gets one shutout. Conn Smythe winner: Marian Gaborik.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kings in 7.

Sloppy 1st for Kings -- including a shorthanded own goal -- until they got it together somewhat.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well that was a pretty thrilling final minute of regulation.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

WHEW, I'LL SAY!!!

L!!

Draft saved Draft deleted