1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road to Omaha thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 25, 2014.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

WOW. Interference call makes it a double play. To the 22nd inning.

High chopper to short. Shortstop flips to the second baseman, who is taken out by a Sam Houston runner. Bearkats players run out to celebrate only to have the umpires call the runner out.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Longest game in NCAA history is 25 innings between Texas & Boston College in the 2009 regional in Austin.

THis is now the second-longest game in NCAA history.

3. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

TCU with runners on first and second with one out.

Fly to left, two outs

TCU's Boomer White singles in a run ... 3-2 ... Announcer exclaims game is over. Partner quickly interjects, "It's the top of the inning." Must be fatigue.

4. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Sam Houston has a runner on second with one out.

Strikeout for No. 2.

All over ... TCU wins 3-2.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another national seed goes down in Houston.
    Texas A&M rallies from a 6-0 deficit to take the lead, then gives up a run in the ninth and another in the 10th to fall behind 8-7 to Rice. Bottom of the 10th, Rice commits two errors on bad-hop grounders and a wild pitch, and A&M -- which had a runner thrown out at the plate in the inning -- scores three to win 9-8.
    Wild game, wild finish, and Rice is gone.

So, by my count, three of the eight national seeds are gone and five of the eight have lost at least one game this weekend. TCU, Virginia and LSU are the only ones to make it through unscathed so far.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This ESPNU Bases Loaded coverage of all the regionals is pretty much AWESOME.

1b from TT gets run - after a pretty innocent collision at first, the TT 1b drops the ball in the lap of the prone Miami runner. Benches cleared.

Good stuff.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Tony Bennett's got some good seats right behind home plate in Charlottesville. He earned them I guess. Mike London's probably in the right field bleachers.

8. Jake_Taylor

I'm not trying to jinx it, but right now it looks like we are on the way to a Maryland-UVa super regional in Charlottesville, which would be all kinds of intense.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've had it on as background news for most of the weekend. The hosts were kind of annoying on Friday -- they were breathlessly saying how every higher-seeded team was in danger of losing the minute they fell behind, even in the first inning -- but have gotten a lot better as it's gone on. I haven't seen them miss too many important moments.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know as professionals, we're not supposed to root and all, buuuutttt ... I (and I'm guessing Albert and all other sports writers in Mississippi as well) am pulling for Mississippi State and Ole Miss to finish things off and play each other in a Super Regional.
    Guaranteed at least two more weeks of summer content!
    Hail State!
    Hotty toddy!

11. Jake_Taylor

My Wahoo wife would murder me if she heard me say this, but how funny would it be if Maryland broke the ACC's title-less streak?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And the Titans, preseason No. 1, spit the bit, lead 4-1, then give up two in the sixth, three in the seventh, load the bases in the ninth and fail to score and Oklahoma State advances.

Draft saved Draft deleted