1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This may be a little spammy, but hey, I'm not a newbie...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackS, May 24, 2014.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Can I see an outlay of how you are using your resources both long and short term?

2. JackS

JackS Member

Sure. I can't send you our internal budget numbers, of course, but our 990 is online to give you a general idea of our size (small), hence the need for anything and everything we can get. A $5,000 public relations contract is huge to us. Our main competition is a house and garden group. If we don't win, they will. I'm sure they do fine work, but I feel no guilt competing against that kind of organization.

Recently, we received a $10,000 grant from the Starbucks Foundation to fund our newest initiative, the Free Enterprise Leadership Team, which is a group of high school students who will oversee the purchase, rehabilitation and sale of a blighted property. This allows the next generation to learn about the process, and in return for their time, they receive college scholarship money from any profits that are made on the sale.

http://yrno.com/schools/free-enterprise-leadership-team/

This week, we learned we'll receive an even larger three-year grant from another foundation I can't yet announce, but the goal is to better tie our programs together, including the Free Enterprise Leadership Team, our REbuild program, which hires at-risk youth as construction staff members (see previously linked letter), and our Future Leaders Initiative, which goes into partner schools and teaches students soft skills such as resume writing, interviewing and public speaking. This last one in particular is not well linked to our rebuilding mission, and we want to hire staff to get some of these "future leaders" more involved in that.

Follow up questions are welcome.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I just pushed it to 376.

4. JackS

JackS Member

You're all awesome.

5. JackS

JackS Member

Update: YRNO has reclaimed a slim lead in the contest, but the margin may be as close as Hunter-Reay and Castroneves at tomorrow's noon finish line. Love what you've done so far, and we'd still appreciate any "like" you wanna give us...

https://www.facebook.com/GambelPR/photos/a.10152076319760658.1073741831.178724495657/10152076327930658/?type=3&theater

6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

7. JackS

JackS Member

No photo finish after all, folks. The AmeriCorps guy won it, going away. Thanks, y'all. SportsJournalists.com is, was and always will be the best! :)

8. Isn't this a bad reflection regarding society when those who represent non-profits need to beg on a message board for Facebook "likes" to win a contest? I don't blame the OP for doing it, but it's sad that funding decisions come down to this.

9. JackS

JackS Member

In a way, I agree with you, but now that I've been on the other side of the non-profit curtain, it's really not that much different than all the other "begging" we have to do. For example, if you think annual campaigns are all that much more pure in terms of who's most deserving, think again. Lots of schmoozing and pressing the flesh to get people to part with their money.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah. I've done many "ShareAThons" for public radio asking for money...well before Facebook. It's nothing new to ask for money in public by companies.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Done. I wish you and your organization the best.

12. JackS

JackS Member

Happy holidays, all!

In the same vein as my request from last year, Youth Rebuilding New Orleans is competing in the Super Service Challenge to win money from the Drew Brees Foundation and other sponsors. I'm actually back in the media biz now and no longer serving at YRNO, but I recently went back to volunteer and they shot a video of me plugging the organization to submit to the challenge. The more votes it gets, the better the chances of YRNO winning money. No registration necessary. Just click the link below, watch the video and click on the "vote" button...

Americorps Alumni Super Service | Super Service Challenge

There are still thousands of blighted properties in New Orleans more than 10 years after Katrina, so rehabilitating them remains a worthy cause! Thanks again for your support.

Draft saved Draft deleted