1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Even from that post, I don't really think they were asking them to make cold calls. It sounds like they wanted the person to function like the editor of a local paper would, which I don't think is out of line. When I was a local editor, I was attending things like chamber of commerce meetings and handing out swag at local high school's career day. I had done similar things at a smaller newspaper I worked at before. At both places, I didn't get the impression that I was to be selling ads, but if someone did express interest, to forward their name along to the advertising department.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And this story was based on a complaint from ONE unidentified person who claimed to be a Patch editor. There is plenty to criticize about the way Patch did its business. It's amazing that people were so eager to do so that they would reach for crap like that.

3. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_LQ4_MhDu4&feature=kp

4. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Good for Patch, although I am sorry to see that the company is almost completely void of racial diversity -- if the executive staff is any indication. http://www.patch.com/about/. But I do wish them well in their quest to prove that local online news has a profitable future.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Chairman of the Board bio:

Rode that job right to the top, he did. :D

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I was a Patch editor from 2010-2012 and was never forced to sell advertising. To attribute anything close to reality in that steaming pile of fertilizer Henry Blodget calls journalism is a huge mistake. Did we hand out mugs and shirts? Yes. Did we schedule open reader meet-and-greets with the ad rep? Yes. Did the Patchmobile visit my town? Yes. Did we have a table at the local street fair? Yes again. Did the ad rep ever once order me to sell, or write a story in an effort to make a sale? NO and NO. Did he specifically avoid the appearance of a conflict with editorial because he knew it would harm the brand, and still managed to make our town the second-best selling for ads in our cluster, and the second-most read? YES and YES. There was much about the Patch strategy I disagreed with, but the relationship between sales and editorial wasn't one of them. Great people, professional, doing great work under impossible circumstances. I will always despise my journo brethren who knew better but had no problem in openly criticizing Patch with no basis in fact other than anonymous ax-grinding from pseudo-sources. Begging your pardon, but you can all go t' hell.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Patchmobile!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Patch.com is hiring NYC-based copy editors who seem to handle content from across the country.
    http://www.mediabistro.com/joblistings/jobview.asp?joid=169118

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind that this is a company that fired 90 percent of its work force in January.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Fixed, you know, for added optimism. :)

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I heard such great things about this company, including from the above quoted poster.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This is Patch, not The Tennessean.

Draft saved Draft deleted