1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2014 season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dollars vs. eyeballs. Eyeballs generate dollars. The failure's on the side of the provider. The Dodgers got theirs. Can't fault them.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This kind of year for the Dodgers: AJ Ellis back on the DL after post-no-hitter celebration.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/26/a-j-ellis-hurt-his-ankle-celebrating-josh-becketts-no-hitter/

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Think things are bad for the Phillies? Their top pitching prospect, Jesse Biddle, misses a start after he's plunked on the head with an ice ball during a hail storm.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/phillies/Jesse-Biddle-hail-misses-start.html

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Looking at this Yankee lineup, it's a miracle they've scored 3. Not sure they could hit it out in BP.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wheels coming off the Tiger bandwagon in a big way -- bombed 10-0 in Oakland.

I know it's still early, etc etc., but I remember 10-15 years ago Bill James wrote an article which mainly dealt with teams which supposedly had uncanny abilities to win close games -- his conclusion was that records in close games seemed to be nearly randomly distributed, but one of the most telling indicators that a highly-touted preseason-favorite team was headed for oblivion was a lengthy early string of wipeout losses.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Samardzija wins. Dammit.

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Ryu perfect through seven.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Think that wouldn't tear up front pages coast to coast?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I had to cram Beckett in last night. I'm glad I'm not working tonight.

10. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Don't have to worry now. Todd Frazier with a double to open the eighth.

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Ryu came up to bat in the bottom of the seventh, reached on an error, got to stand around for a few minutes while Cinci made a pitching change, then scored two batters later. Did all that standing around on the basepaths cool him off and take him out of the zone? Did the NL's lack of a DH cost him a perfect game?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd say the two outs he got from .154-hitting Johnny Cueto more than offset whatever hypothetical disadvantage he would have endured by running 90 feet at a time over several minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted