1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abramson out as NYT editor, Baquet replaces her

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, May 14, 2014.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Re: Abramson out and NYT editor, Baquet replaces her

Dapper Dean! Jilted Jill! The Perilous Predicament of Pinch! The Ghost of Punch! Hopes and dreams Snowfalling right and left!

2. trounced

trounced Active Member

Actually, I think it's Drudge.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This story is also more evidence that after family-owned businesses grow into big businesses, the rule of thumb should be that family members can clip all the coupons they desire, but should not be placed as senior executives, or indeed as anything but stockholders. It also ought to be illegal to sell non-voting common stock as does the Times and many other companies.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You obviously didn't see Gregg Sulzberger's 96-page internal task force report on the Times' digital future.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Post assigns photog to Abramson's house, catches her out for a walk. The lead: "Jill Abramson's dog may be the only thing she takes crap from."

http://jimromenesko.com/2014/05/16/new-york-post-assigns-a-photographer-to-stake-out-jill-abramsons-home-of-course/jill-2/

That's pretty awesome.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I read through these five pages and now I am extremely sad because I never will get that time back.
    What a colossal waste of time.
    Each subsequent editor of a newspaper should be paid less than his/her predecessor, in proportion to the downward-spiraling profits, circulations, impact of the organization over which they preside.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Poor Joe. I'll email you a dollar.

Too bad the thread title was so cryptic and you had no way of knowing what it was about.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I kind of like this logic. They have fewer employees to oversee.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

well, according to one article, the Times has as many newsroom employees as they did 10 years ago, about 1,100 and something like 30 national and international bureaus.

A number that has grown in the last 10 years according to that same article.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I still like the idea of it. Of course, CEOs have been cashing in while they have cashiered employees for decades.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Defensive much? I knew what it was about. But it veered into wrangling over the quality of various newspapers' digital efforts and continued to perpetuate the folly of the "equal pay/equal work" bellyaching. Equal effort, equal results, equal credentials, equal tenure, equal quality, equal quantity? OK, sure, then equal pay.

Size of newsroom/organization's staff isn't reason enough to justify equal pay to a journalism predecessor. Ought to be proportional to what staffers' cuts have been, in relation to profits too. These aren't newspaper fat times, so expecting predecessors' same paychecks is delusional. Unless top brass just wants to make the worker bees bear all the burden.

Oh, and I will take the dollar. :)

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did the Observer contact Joe after reading his post here, or did he tell them the same thing he told us:

Draft saved Draft deleted