1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rice Backs Out of Rutgers Speech After Student Protests

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 3, 2014.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If Rutgers owned an NBA team, it should get banned for life, too.

2. Bin Laden determined to attack within United States. Yeah, she's probably right, no reason to pay attention to that.
    I mean, I don't think we should be mean, or dog her out for life, but I don't know how you can hold her up as, say, for example, someone who should go around giving commencement speeches and stuff, after that.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This censorship is going to be our country's undoing; having lived through Watergate, through the Reagan, Clinton, and Bush 43 administrations and law school; one of the greatest freedoms we have in this country is the freedom of speech. We need to embrace it rather than run from it; if we don't like what we're hearing we have the opportunity to turn it off, ignore it; but you don't censor it because someday you'll be on the other side of that censorship.

The greatest motivating factor in social change in our country has been driven by freedom of speech.

As taught in The Art of War, one of your greatest weapons is to listen and study your enemy. I hope our future generations (my kids') go back to our roots and listen rather than censor.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Much like a lot of other things recently, this is NOT a freedom of speech issue.

It's actually a really good example of free speech working as intended.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I disagree. The protesters are scared of her speaking. I did not meant this was literally a 1st Amendment issue; I meant it as a censorship issue. You're not always going to agree on who you have to listen to. I've got to plenty of speeches where I disagreed with their viewpoints; but sometimes you have to bear it (my undergrad speaker was less than enlightening, just a big name but big deal, I just wanted to start partying.)

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The speaker has every right to speak, and tune out the audience.

I have every right to speak in opposition, or to tune the speaker out.

If enough people exercise the second, the first serves no purpose.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

What a cluster Rutgers is into.

Nice job, Big Ten.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Was this before or after they denied Eric LeGrand, too? Talk about not knowing your audience.

They're still a better addition than Maryland.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

At least Rutgers handled things well once they received word that Rice was dropping out:

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If only the media would die off, Rutgers wouldn't be in this bad spotlight.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Tom Kean would show up for the opening of an envelope.

Does anyone really want to hear his thoughts?

Meanwhile, someone at Rutgers was thrilled when he accepted their invitation, and dropped LeGrand like yesterday's news.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This has nothing whatsoever to do with censorship. Instead it is an example of free expression by the protesters. If they don't think she'an appropriate commencement speaker they have every right to express that view. They did. She quit.

Draft saved Draft deleted