1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Out of the Park Baseball and Text Sims

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cross Face Chicken Wing, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I've got Football Manager on my iPhone, which I've found is a good way to play it in small chunks without getting too sucked in. I'm sure it's dumbed down from the full version, but it's still lots of fun.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Never played OOTP. Loved Baseball Mogul, mostly starting one of the expansion teams from scratch - doing the expansion draft and trying to build them into a world series winner. Haven't gotten a new version in a couple years. Never tried OOTP.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I am sure once I get a handle on all the features of OOTP I will find a way to play the games I want to.

In fact, that's what set me off on it, a couple people posting about how easy it is to just jump on there, load up a couple teams, and play a game.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've blown days and days of my life with Football Manager. I'm currently managing Olympique de Marseilles, running away with the Ligue 1 title and going deep in the Champions League in 2021.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Echoed. Everyone I knew loved Strat. Until I blew it apart and showed them Statis Pro.

In Statis Pro, I wrote a computer program to make my own player cards, based off of season stats.

In Strat, whenever my opponent had a runner on second and two out, I would always chant, "passed ball! wild pitch!" because the stupid unrealistic rules always said, "...followed by a popout to the catcher."

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'd love to buy Dynasty League Baseball, the successor to Pursue the Pennant, my game of choice when I was young, but the douchebag who invented it charges an arm and a leg for the game.

7. HandsomeHarley

I've got a 16-team league with a 162-game schedule written out for a computer league made up only of players who had at least one AB or IP for the Kansas City Royals (I chose the *best* season for each player, IMO).

I still haven't found the perfect game.

I was about to try Earl Weaver Baseball years ago, but it had some issues.

There are a couple of games out there I'd like to try, but some are quite expensive.

It has to be a game where you can create your own players and stats. And I would love to create my own parks in my own cities.

It's been so long that I now could probably add four "expansion" teams.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Me and a few buddies played several full seasons, a game at a time, using Lance Haffner's Fullcount Baseball.

In our most memorable season, my '54 Indians lost to the '69 Orioles in the Series.

Been keeping an eye out for a great baseball sim ever since.

I'd definitely be interested in being part of a league.

9. HandsomeHarley

I played a four-team a--Royals league with StatisPro and my one highlight was Bret Saberhagen throwing a perfect game.

I made myself a card, as an All-Star shortstop extraordinaire. I finished with 70 home runs (this was around 1990, long before anyone else did it), and played all nine positions in one game (ended up getting the save, too).

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Awesome concept.

11. Ric Flair guy

Ric Flair guy Member

If playing as a GM really isn't your thing, you would probably dig Action PC Baseball. (www.dksports). It's a single-season replay game. No general managing required. It's also much easier than OOTP to play single games between teams from different eras and adjust the settings to how you want.

The only catch is you have to buy the seasons (they also make franchise all-stars sets and other assorted all-star sets). It can drain your bank account quickly. But if you wait for one of the Dave's frequent sales, you can usually load up on season's for as much as 60 percent off.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The fact that OOTP offers ALL of its seasons as part of its default package is a major plus over the other games. As I said earlier, Dynasty League charges an arm and a leg for those individual seasons. Probably why that game isn't competitive with OOTP. It's also why I might pull the trigger and buy OOTP today.

Draft saved Draft deleted