1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D-I men's basketball has its first openly gay player

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Apr 9, 2014.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Eh, I guess.

IMO, the odds of these athletes receiving a congratulatory call from the President of the United States and a back-page attaboy column in Sports Illustrated are substantially higher than the odds of them facing any kind of "reprisal".

Because it's 2014, not 2000. :D

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Had I dismissed the relative importance of prep coverage to some small newspapers, you might have a point.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You didn't.

I understand it as instead of having a normal discussion about a topic, which is unrelated to politics, we get posters who just want to amuse themselves by shitting all over a thread or trying to turn something, once again, into politics or what passes for politics in 2014.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Big news -- rumors swirling that a player is set to become the first openly straight player in the WNBA. Progress!!! Wow, the courage......

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Given how taboo the subject of gay male athletes has been, I guess I can see why some would consider it a big deal.

But I'm personally not comfortable with anyone making a big splashy deal out of personal relationships, whether they're gay or hetero. Some things should remain private.

Draft saved Draft deleted