1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Ledger laying off 40 from newsroom - 170 overall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Looch is one of the best sports reporters I've worked with, and both Tom and Hutch were great to deal with when I had questions.

One thing that some FB friends found amusing. I was not optimistic, so I wore a suit and tie and nice shoes for my axing. A former colleague who was usually a T-shirt and jeans guy wore a suit the day they pushed to take the buyout a few years ago. I told him nice suit. He said, "I always get dressed up to be fucked up the ass." When he offered his condolences yesterday on my FB wall, I reminded him about our conversation and he said it's better if the suit has a Velcro opening back there.

The suit was a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece line. It didn't dawn on me until later that the sheep tag on the lining was apropos.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Advanced is only giving 4.5 weeks of severance to everyone? If this is true may the billionaire Newhouses's be eternally condemned.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Lancy, no. It's 1.5 weeks per year of service. There is a month of outplacement services. There's something else that might or might not be specific to my situation, but I'm not sure I am allowed to discuss it.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

Sad news.

Is this because of a tough economy or is this Newhouse/Advance doing this as a matter of policy. In addition to Newark, there is also New Orleans.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Forgot it's 1.5 weeks per year of service. But since I took a buyout in '08 after 19 years of service, they're only counting the 3 years I've been back part-time, which makes it 4.5 weeks.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I got outplacement services for one of my layoffs. It turned out to be incredibly helpful, especially in putting together a resume, since I hadn't done a good one in about 20 years. Take advantage of it while you can.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just look at the years of experience shown the door. If this doesn't sicken you, nothing will.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In his column about the Rutgers' AD comments, he doesn't mention Lucci getting fired. He mentions Dave Hutchinson and Brendan Prunty being among the casualties who covered Rutgers sports.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Better days ahead, Frank and Joe.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Frank and Joe, I wish the best of luck to you and your co-workers.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I, too, wish the best to all affected by the layoffs.

I crossed paths with someone who works for this conglomeration who said there's going to be expansion in greater Philadelphia. Does that mean some of the people retained will be rearranged? Or is it just the typical do-more-with-less scenario?

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Philadelphia Inquirer sold a couple of years ago for 55 million dollars. I never understood why Newhouse did not buy it. That way with thier other properties they would be the dominanat media property in New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania.

Draft saved Draft deleted