1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman closes the door on John Rocker, and his guilt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's a good read. Guilt has wracked his soul despite 15 years of praise and a meteoric rise in professional stardom borne from the John Rocker story in '99. On the social media he said it was "cathartic" to write it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2009128-a-reporters-tale-the-john-rocker-story-15-years-later

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is awesome:

My only strong moment came midway through, when he said, "I even bought you lunch!"

"Actually," I said, "I paid."

"Well, f--k you...''

3. Songbird

In the same vein I'd love for one of the big writers to do a retrospective about Rocker's first appearance at Shea after the suspension. The intensity was thick and made for great TV. He pitched a 1-2-3 inning and then his walk back to the dugout -- camera trained on him -- was so perfect. One of my favorite TV baseball moments.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pushed the lede all the way to the bottom:

Except the Kangol hat. Perlman should feel guilty about that the rest of his days.

5. Songbird

Is that really a kangol though?

[​IMG]

At least in the sense of LL Cool J's kangol.

[​IMG]

Looks like Jeff is just wearing a cabbie hat, or the cap Terence Trent D'Arby wore, backward.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They make Kangol cabbie-style hats, too. Samuel L. Jackson has worn them for years:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had a Kangol cabbie style hat in college that I stole from an ex-boyfriend. That was 15-18 years ago.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That was probably my favorite line.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was a really interesting read.

There's no question that article ruined Rocker's career. Does that mean it's Pearlman's fault that he wrote it? Of course not... If the article hadn't happened, Rocker probably would have melted down at some other time, but that's a guess.

It was interesting. When that article came out, if you asked journalists if Pearlman did anything wrong, you would get a lot of different answers. Our baseball writers at the time got into a huge shouting match over whether the article was fair. My assigning editor at the time, by far the best editor I ever worked for, said under no circumstances would he have run that article, which stunned me. When I read the article at the time, I didn't think Pearlman had done anything wrong, but I was stunned at how many people who I respected disagreed with that.

Is there really another instance when there's an athlete who is so closely identified with a writer and what was written about him? I can't think of one.

10. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Pierce and Tiger comes to mind, but that's only within journalism circles.

DiMaggio and Talese, I suppose.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What the flyin' fuck.

It ain't the job of an interviewer to save the subject from himself.

Once you have clearly identified yourself to the subject as a journalist, if they start spewing, it isn't your job to save them.

End of story.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not a guess. He's STILL melting down regularly. See his tweets at the end of the recent Pearlman article. Guy would have imploded no matter what.

Draft saved Draft deleted