1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 College basketball coaching carousel thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 14, 2014.

1. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Danny Manning to Wake Forest is a done deal.

Lived a large chunk of his youth in Greensboro, about 30 minutes from Winston-Salem, before leaving Page High School after his junior year to head to Lawrence, Kansas.

The rest is history.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Jim Christian to Boston College, from TCU. He was red-hot from someplace in the MAC (Kent State?) before he went to TCU, where I don't remember him doing much. I'm sure this will get big play among the few in Boston who follow college sports and take some of the focus away from BC hockey in the Frozen Four. Ha.

Montana State hired an Oregon assistant named Fish who I must confess I have never heard of.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No one does much at TCU.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It seems like every year there is a huge unexpected opening in the next week or so after the Final Four. Any guesses at where that might be? Indiana, Kentucky, Syracuse...

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Did Wake hire his dad, too? Signed, Bitter Carolina Fan

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Ed's dead, so no. But don't be mad just because Danny wanted to go to a school where his classes actually existed. :D

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wasn't touching that one, but glad someone went there. :)

Obviously, Danny Manning knows the Triad and the lay of the land. Now we'll see if he can change the culture in the program and recruit ACC-caliber talent.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That's a fair shot. I will say the paper classes go back further than any of us alumni want to admit, but there's no evidence they were around before the late '90s.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Crean is gone after next year right?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

His buyout is $14 mil this year. Next year it's still $12 million and then the following year it's $7.5 mil. That's brutal...

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

What's crazy about SMU landing these blue chippers is Larry Brown never liked to recruit. If he hadn't been able to call up his old teammate Ed Manning with a job offer he might not have signed any big-time recruits at Kansas. I think Kevin Pritchard might have been the second most acclaimed Brown recruit.

12. lapdog

lapdog Member

I gotta figure those massive buyout numbers will save Crean's ass if he shows any signs of rebounding (no pun intended, haha) next season.

If this year's downward skid continues, I'd bet he's done for, but if he shows any signs of righting the ship -- well, that's a hell of a lot of money to shell out to roll the dice on somebody like Woodson (!??!)

I suppose if Crean really bombs and Alford has another real good year at UCLA (25+ wins, top-15) the Hoosier alums might want to take a serious run at him a year from now, but my guess is neither end of the equation will be so clear-cut.

Draft saved Draft deleted