1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How he finally met the mother (Season 9)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Sep 23, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't remember the details, but I assumed he had stolen it again.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The "Sepinwall Thesis." Man, he hated the ending.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You know what I just realized? Robin and Barney's marriage, in essence, was meaningless and lasted only three years. We can all agree on that, right?
    Well, guess what.
    If Ted only got to be with Tracey for 10 years in total (Assuming they got together in 2014, he's telling his kids this story in 2030 and she died six years earlier which would be 2024) AND they didn't get married for at least the first seven of those years (Two years before they got engaged, five before they tied the knot) then Ted and Tracey's marriage only lasted for three years before she died.
    That's f**king cruel.
    God I hate this show right now.

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

One of my favorite (?) weird things I read today: Lyndsy Fonseca (the daughter) is only 15 months younger than Cristin Milioti.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

That's interesting that that restaurant would still be open 25 years later AND still have the same decor. Also, can you imagine?

Ted: "Oh, you still have the blue French horn? Can I borrow it for an hour to go woo the same girl I did 25 years ago?! THANKS!" *runs out of the restaurant with it*

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I was one of the writers, I'd feel like crud. No matter how they defend it, many people really had problems with the ending. This wasn't high art, intended to be challenging, it was a sitcom. I'm just surprised they chunked it on the execution considering how well they could milk various jokes.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Scary to imagine how some people would have reacted if today's social media/message boards had existed when "Cheers" and "Seinfeld" ended. Or when it was revealed that Kristin shot J.R.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

The internet did exist in 1998 when Seinfeld went off and mostly did in fact hate the finale.
    I think social media would have been fine with the finale of Cheers where . . . .

******SPOILER ALERT*******

. . . Sam choose his true love, the bar, over the woman who scorned him all those years ago.

All in all, the HIMYM finale is nowhere near the series finale pantheon which includes. . . .

Buffy (all she wanted was to be a normal teenager and after staving off disaster one more time, she is)
    NYPD Blue (most of the series came to be about the slow redemption of Andy and the finale was the end of that journey)
    Scrubs (the real finale, not the last episode of the abomination that was the new school season)
    ER (i just liked the symmetry of Carter saying to the younger Greene what Dr. Greene had said to Carter in the pilot)
    West Wing (those who were not a part of the Santos administration walked out the door, those who were settled into their new jobs)
    Newhart (I mean come on, that ending was classic)

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

HIMYM earned every bit of this ridicule, no matter the medium through which it is conveyed.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Cheers' finale was great. Anyone saying differently is a fool. :)

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You forgot the series finale of M*A*S*H* (Hawkeye finally goes off the deep end
    in overacted style by Alan Alda; the war ruins Winchester's love of classical music; Klinger stays in Korea; and Mulchay goes deaf)

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted