1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Foodie Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I might be all over this when they come out.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2014/03/04/these-froyo-bonbons-are-not-just-another-treat/PVn05n1oR3zuozrToBWk0I/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Songbird

[​IMG]

Food.com FB page:

When I dip, you dip, we dip... these DIY Bacon Pancake Dippers. http://trib.al/QliTiHh

3. Songbird

Bania just smiled and doesn't know why.

Soup is not a meal.

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/20/289614916/this-simple-stew-is-a-battleground-in-a-bowl?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=npr&utm_campaign=nprnews&utm_content=03202014

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not sure it counts as "foodie" but I'm doing dinner at my favorite restaurant (read: not pub) in Atlanta tonight. It's the place where I had a duck, pickled blueberries, feta and arugula pizza. The menu:

http://www.doublezeroatl.com/menu/

Last time I went, I went because I had emailed about that duck pizza (having had it a year and a half earlier) and the chef answered me and said they'd have it on a specific weekend. I went with some friends, and the server told me it wasn't on the menu. I mentioned the chef (who I didn't know was the head chef when he emailed) had said it would be here and so he came out to our table, explained their shipment had come in late, but since we'd come there just for that he'd make us a variation of it, on the house. So we each ordered an app, we each got an entree, plus we got the free pizza for the table. Also had a couple bottles of wine. So good, and the service is great. Highly recommend.

5. Songbird

How to eat entire flat chicken wings. Who knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRcOY-PvOC8

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Small plates vex and confound me. If I wanted a small plate, I'd have microwaved something out of the freezer. ;)

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The small plates are the appetizers. The pizzas are 14" pizzas. The entrees are probably 2-3 portions.

8. jr/shotglass

This leads me to what, I guess, is a rant.

I like checking out restaurant reviews on Yelp. I saw some place in California got two Michelin stars and went to their website. Here is their tasting menu.

http://www.manresarestaurant.com/kitchen/Manresa_tasting_menu.pdf

And here is their black cod.

[​IMG]

One reviewer said, "I guess they had 4-5-6 courses, each less than a normal bite in total and taste just like what you would have expected."

And then there was this lead-in from a hardcore foodie: "First of all, to those that think that because the plate doesn't have a pound of food on it that the meal is a disappointment - I hate you."

I'm sorry, but this is just foreign to me. I love food. But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $185 to have the food fill 1/8 of my plate.

Thoughts?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If the place got two Michelin stars -- 8 years in a row -- it's likely pretty spectacular.

The website says, "he following menu is a sample and only representative," and doesn't list any deserts. In addition to what's listed, I'd guess you'd probably get an additional savory course, as well as two or even three dessert courses.

You won't leave stuffed, but you should be satisfied.

A meal like this is served over several hours. You'll probably be there for three hours or so. You are paying for the food, but also for the experience and the artistry.

It may be expensive, and it may not be for you, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good value.

And, it's a special occasion kind of place.

To compare, here's what one ticket to the Book of Mormon on Broadway costs for an upcoming Saturday night:

Premium: 1 Ticket, CENTER ORCHESTRA Row O, Seat 114 Est. Total $310.25 Details
    Premium: 1 Ticket, CENTER ORCHESTRA Row B, Seat 104 Est. Total $363.25 Details
    Premium: 1 Ticket, CENTER ORCHESTRA Row F, Seat 105 Est. Total $488.25 Details
    Choice Choice 1: 1 Ticket, LEFT ORCHESTRA Row M, Seat 25 Est. Total $210.25 Details

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

There is virtually no chance even at good at home chef could make some of the food and present it the way it is being served. At this point in my life it is usually family dining but would have no problem paying for the experience if I had the cash to spend.

Like YF said, it is like going to a show. I have never been to an opera and am not a fan of opera music but I would like to go for the experience.

11. jr/shotglass

An apt comparison there, YF. I just feel like I'd try to make each bite last 30 minutes if I only had 8-10 bites.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A tasting menu like this would probably have a few courses that merely a bite or two, but would have other courses that were bigger -- not necessarily the size of a traditional entree, more like an appetizer or tapas course.

You'll also probably have some rich foods; maybe some foie gras, lobster, and/or rich sauces.

It's not unknown for some people to actually be a little hungry after such a meal, but the average diner should be satisfied (not stuffed) when finished. And, obviously it helps if your a pretty adventurous eater, and willing to east everything that is served.

Draft saved Draft deleted