1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Britpop fares well on SNL. The second song gave me just about the same "Holy Shit!" I got three years when Florence + the Machine did "No Light No Light." (That wasn't Danger Mouse on piano, was it?)

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Had that been me I wouldn't have been around those dogs in the first place.

"Who is Michael Vick?"

Sorry, Mark. We were looking for Sara McGlockton.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Weird that I noticed the musical guest had an actual first name and last name. Most of the time you can't figure out if the MG is a group or lone performer.

Thought the episode was off throughout. Timing seemed off in sketch after sketch. Don't know if they had a new cue card person with bad handwriting or what - and WU? Try setting up a joke WITH a punchline. They work better that way.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The next musical guest — Pharrell Williams — also goes by just Pharrell. He's also playing SNL on his 41st birthday. Didn't know Pharrell was that old.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

What I hadn't realized until recently is that Pharrell had been a major player as a producer for more than (or over) a decade before he ever gained true notoriety as a performer. He's been in the game for quite a while.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's still hard for me to think of him as a performer. I know he is. But it's still like "Oh, there's Pharrell, up on stage again. Weird."

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Lord, Weekend Update was awful. Looks like they're really struggling in the writing department for that segment. And I hated the baby sketch the second time around. I appreciate the talent ti takes for Bennett to sell that, but it should have been one and done.

8. jr/shotglass

Yes and yes.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They can do more with baby-man, but having "the joke" people meeting him for the first time isn't it.

10. jr/shotglass

This was better than several sketches that made it to air.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/videos/louis-c-k-relishes-hunky-earth-guy-art-in-unaired-snl-sketch-20140401

11. jr/shotglass

The only thing I liked in the Anna Kendrick show was the one thing everybody seems to be panning -- the Dongs song.

Well, that and Pharrell being Happy.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I thought Kendrick was good, but SNL writers' / Lorne's lust for singing was on full display. Whenever they get someone who can sing a bit now, it seems like sketch after sketch is just full of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted