1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How he finally met the mother (Season 9)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Sep 23, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah but I assume on the timeline that would have been before 2030. I think it was maybe the 20-year reunion? Ballparking it, I believe that would be early 2020s.

2. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

In that episode (which was before the mom was cast) Ted says "Where's my wife?" an no one answers.

I think it has to be a feint, although I still think it would be bold a fuck if they killed off the mom (though it presents thematic problems as to why he'd be telling stories about all the women he banged before he met their now-dead mom).

Here is a clue: The title of the episode last night was “Vesuvius,” with no explanation whatsoever. The only other time the word “vesuvius” appears in HIMYM is when Ted is trying to do a crossword puzzle in “Coming Back.” He says, “Vesuvius … wait, that doesn’t fit.” So the notion that the Mother is dead is the “Vesuvius” – it’s the answer we think fits in the puzzle of why Ted is telling this story, but it’s not the right answer.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe, but Ted is also enough of a romantic sap to say something like that even if she was still around.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's some Lost-level shit right there.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The problem is that I remember LOST, and I know that most hollywood writers will gladly say "fuck continuity" if they like the ending.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They should have a follow-up series called 'Why wouldn't my D-bag dad shut the f%ck up?'

7. Giggity

Giggity Member

Somebody posted a more in-depth version of this theory Sepinwall's review - it fits. Can't decide if it's any better than the Mother dying, but it fits.

Here it is:

The episode title: "Vesuvius". Initially, the intention is to get people to think it refers to the burst of emotion Lily is trying to pull out of Robin. But it's really referring to an earlier episode this season where Ted mistakes a crossword puzzle clue for "Vesuvius". The show is trying to tell you that you're going to mistake where the show is going to be headed.

Missing her daughter's wedding. Another misdirect. Immediately, you think this is referencing some terminal illness that the Mother has and therefore both her and Ted know she won't be there for Penny's wedding at some point in the future. It could be maybe the Mother's mom or Ted's mom misses their wedding. Nope. This is one of those clues that will only become obvious once the show is over. This "daughter" is Robin and Barney's daughter. What?? Robin can't have kids, and neither one of them want kids. That's why this clue only will seem obvious in retrospect. Think back to the 2016 Argentina flashforward of Barney and Robin waking up from their massive hangover only to find out they're in someone else's room with someone else's baby. When they first wake up and the baby starts crying, they aren't shocked. They go with it. Barney sighs and says "Every time!" like it's not the first time they've been woken by a screaming baby. Robin gets up and says "I'll get her." Her. Catch that? It's only after Robin picks up the baby and doesn't recognize her that she asks "Barney, who's baby is this?" Now rewatch that scene with the assumption that Robin and Barney have a daughter (probably adopted) but they are still in the wrong room. Ted is getting choked up about Robin not being able to be at her daughter's wedding.

The rest of the gang has met the Mother already. Lily on the subway. Barney in the drug store. Marshall on the road. But Robin hasn't met her yet. Robin will meet her before Ted does, and I bet my red cowboy boots that Robin will play the critical role in getting the Mother to that Farhampton station in the rain to meet Ted.

Ted's telling this story to his kids, but as we've all pointed out, it spends a ridiculous amount of time focusing on their Aunt Robin and not so much on their, you know, actual mother. Why? Why start this whole story with his first date with Robin? Why not just start the story after the gang is established or when Barney starts dating Robin or any point? This whole thing starts with Robin, and it will end with Robin. Ted's story of how he met the Mother is the story of how Robin made that happen. And that's why he's telling his kids this story - partly to tell them how he met their mother but also so they know more about their late Aunt Robin and how critical she was to their parents getting together.

The Mother is alive and married to Ted. Robin and Barney have a daughter. Robin has died in 2030. The Farhampton Inn is the last time the entire gang was together until 2030 for Robin's funeral.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I'm with that theory up to the last line. Why wouldn't the entire gang have been together for Ted's wedding?

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Here's what I think of when it comes to why the Mother isn't dead:
    When Ted is getting ready to marry Stella and the kids suddenly go blonde and Stella pops out from behind the couch and tells Ted to turn the camera off, dinner's ready....would they REALLY have done that if this is Ted telling his kids about his deceased wife?

WHY WHY WHY. Of course, at the time, we took this to be sweet. Now it just seems sad if the Mother really is dead.

I still maintain that the kids look way too happy if the Mother is really dead.

10. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

The "Robin is dead" theory would be pretty dark too, but I like it more than "Mom is dead" theory. And it would make more sense. "I wouldn't have met your mom had I not fallen for this amazing person so let me tell you about her too, because she's part of the reason you exist."

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, and the whole overlong story could be a dad's long way of answering "why do we even have to go to this funeral?"

But count me also wondering why that funeral would have to be the first time they've been together since this weekend. We see the three guys gathering with their babies a few years from now, right? Why wouldn't the ladies have been there for that, and the group been togeter for plenty of other occasions?

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

If it's Robin's funeral they're getting ready to gather at, I am guessing that Ted's kids have already met aunt Robin and know how amazing she is, and not just because Ted's told them how many times they've banged.

Besides, don't we know that the kids spend at least part of their childhood seeing Robin? In the episode where Robin dates the guy with the kid, we see Ted's kids' artwork that features aunt Robin.

Draft saved Draft deleted