1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati Bengals Co-Beat Writer - Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angel Rodriguez, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Angel Rodriguez

Angel Rodriguez New Member

Enquirer Sports is looking for a reporter to join a two-person team to cover the Cincinnati Bengals. The ideal candidate understands that covering a professional football beat in 2014 requires multiple and diverse skills. This journalist will need to be equally proficient at breaking news, writing a compelling feature or shooting a video.

This reporter should also be able to:
    Find stories that go beyond the score and stats line and attract the hard core football fan and the casual observer
    Understand the best way to tell stories across multiple platforms and using different storytelling forms
    Be comfortable on social media interacting with fans and helping build the Enquirer Sports brand over social networks
    Think of new and innovative ways to present content to our readers - from monthly rewinds that appear as a double truck in print to podcasting
    Collaborate with other reporters across the newsroom to help identify Bengals stories that cross over into news, business and entertainment as well as longer sports profiles
    Develop the contacts and build the relationships necessary to break news
    Collaborate with reporters, editors and designers to help produce GameDay and PostGame sections during the season.

Here is the link to apply
    https://career4.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=27882&company=Gannett&username=

If you have any questions, email me at arodriguez@enquirer.com

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

This is filling Joe Reedy's old job. He left to take a job with Fox Sports Ohio, primarily covering the Cleveland Indians.

3. welch10

welch10 New Member

They added one guy and still looking for another according to their website.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20140226/SPT02/140226020/

4. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Did they ever fill the assistant SE job that was posted here several months ago?
    Never saw who was hired if so.

5. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Guess they aren't accepting application anymore. I clicked the link and it says the posting has been removed. Oh well.

6. Angel Rodriguez

We are still accepting applications. Must be an HR issue, but that should be up shortly for those interested in applying.

Also, we did hire Rory Glynn back for ASE position.

7. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

That is great. Thank you for the clarification.

8. dpilar05

dpilar05 New Member

I interned at the Enquirer in the fall, so take this information for what it's worth from a 23 year old. Angel and the other ASE, Nick Hurm, are great. Paul Dehner would be great to work with, he knows Cincinnati sports as good as anyone. Cincinnati is a full-time sports town, with good, but whiny fans. If you can deal with occasional tweets calling you an idiot, then anyone should jump on this gig.

9. Angel Rodriguez

Here is the new link for those still wanting to apply.

https://career4.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=27882&company=Gannett&username=

10. welch10

welch10 New Member

What is the average response time for this, you think? I sent my info to Hurm before the posting even went up and he said he passed it along to the sports editor. Obviously not expecting a week turnaround but just curious.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So would there be a conflict of interest for me in this job since my niece's husband is one of the players or would it be a positive because I might have a pipeline to inside info?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Appears to have been filled. Or is there a second opening?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20140303/SPT02/303030103

Draft saved Draft deleted