1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Mira

Mira Member

I started "The Goldfinch" and read more than 200 pages in less than two days. LOVE it.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I finished "The Goldfinch." Well written; interesting relationships between the characters; very provoking. Probably just a little different view of life than what I'm looking for, what I'm living, so did not think it was tremendous.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

Aaaamennnn

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I finished reading "Death at Sea World" this week.

The book, about the Feb. 24, 2010 death of Sea World Orlando trainer Dawn Brancheau in the attack by the killer whale Tilikum, and the ensuing rise in protests against cetaceans in captivity, the legal battles and congressional hearings between the Humane Society of the U.S. and a very PR-savvy Sea World, and Sea World's still-ongoing fight with OSHA to have trainers allowed to swim with killer whales again, is an exhaustive and interesting look at all the issues involved.

For me, someone who's always been interested in marine mammals, who at one time seriously considered going into the marine biology field and who still would consider a Cousteau research expedition as a bucket-list outing, it was very interesting, and with regards to Sea World, it was quite revealing and thought-provoking.

It was also kind of sad for all involved -- both humans and animals.

If you've ever read the very good investigative article, "Killer in the Pool" in Outside magazine (it can be still be read online for free), this book was an extension of that, with more behind-the-scenes information regarding the legal battles and Sea World's business-related operations and issues.

The book also dropped a bomb that I wish it would have delved into further, although it was probably difficult to get information at all and that's why it didn't happen: Two months to the day before Brancheau died at Sea World Orlando, another trainer at Loro Parque in the Canary Islands was working with Keto, another Sea World killer whale who was being "loaned" out to the foreign entertainment park, also was attacked and killed on the job, on Dec. 24, 2009.

And practically no one even knew about it.

Sea World officials were accused by a Loro Parque employee who later stepped forward to become involved in killer whale/captivity activism to have come to that park and had Martinez's body cremated the very next day.

Unlike in Brancheau's death, there had been no media coverage and almost no one had heard a word about the death of Martinez, a work-place acquaintance of Brancheau's, until a former animal trainer-turned-activist involved in a debate over whether killer whales are suited for captivity asked TV host Larry King, in a Larry King Live interview, whether he was aware that another trainer killing by a Sea World-owned whale had occurred just 60 days before the Orlando trainer died.

Everyone, even the HSUS official who was a prime source/activist in the long-running fight, was stunned into silence -- except the two Sea World officials also involved in the interview. When asked if they'd known about the previous recent death, one said, "Yes, but not the details."

It made me shake my head at the extent to which things can be covered up, even when involving the most public or emotional of issues, and even from the highest levels of renowned organizations.

It was a good book -- a little too long, in my opinion, but still good -- if you're interested in human/animal relationships or the potential conflicts that can arise when trying to mix people's love of animals with big business.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"Revolutionary Road" by Richard Yates

One of the few times I've seen a movie, then read the book. Usually it's the reverse ... and I almost always say, "The book is WAY better than the movie."

Well, the book is still way better than the movie ... although seeing the movie first helped highlight the great foreshadowing Yates incorporates into the story.

And the book is much harsher on Frank (DiCaprio's character) than the movie, even though he is the narrator for most of it.

Overall, a good read and effective critique of 1950s middle-class society.

6. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Love Rev Road. So many beautiful sentences.

7. accguy

accguy Member

Just recently finished "The Everything Store" by Brad Stone from Bloomberg Businessweek. It's about Amazon and Bezos.

Very interesting read if you are into business.

8. accguy

accguy Member

Book related question: Has anybody tried Oyster or Scribd -- two monthly fee services for iPad that are kind of like Netflix for books?

If so, how is the selection?

I've considered trying the free month from Oyster, but I have a couple of library ebooks to get through first -- including Five Days at Memorial.

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Read it a few years back and liked it. The one part that has stuck with me - the almost fantasy element - is how the husband worked at a well-paid office job with no threat of layoffs and loads of free time throughout the day.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I knew I would like this book, having lived near Clinton and having traveled there many times for work (and an occasional LumberKings game).

Now that I've read it (thanks again for the heads-up), I too can highly recommend it for anyone who's followed minor league baseball, especially in the Midwest. Community-run teams/stadiums like the one in Clinton, Iowa, are a dying breed, so enjoy them while you can.

A bonus for me is that several of the players Mann focuses on are now members of the Seattle Mariners, the MLB team we follow where I live now.

Mann's portrayal/commentary about Nick Franklin was very good ... he didn't take the easy route and simply describe him as a big-bonus, stuck up egomaniac. He had some empathy for someone who was still a teenage kid.

Yet he made sure to include this about the kid's confidence: "Some people think I'm cocky or whatever. But I'm not. It's just, I've never really failed. Why am I supposed to think that can happen when it never does?"

Reading Franklin's comments now, after some tough times with the Mariners and now having Robinson Cano brought in to play his position, made them more interesting.

Mann's insight into the sacrifices and struggles Latino teens have as they pursue the MLB dream — while not as unique as other aspects of the book — also were well-done.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Just picked up 6 Days of the Condor on Kindle for $1.99. Hoping the book is half is as good as the movie

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Just finished the WWII book 'Unbroken' by Laura Hillenbrand. For any history nerds like me, this is fantastic. Also proves beyond any doubt that the men of that generation earned the moniker 'Greatest Generation.' I unequivocally could not survive what Louis Zamperini survived.

Draft saved Draft deleted