1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Sam Says He Is Gay; May Become First Publicly Gay Player in N.F.L.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The story says everyone in the NFL is against this?

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

More precisely, the SI stuff seems to have an editorial bent in that direction.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They did not make disparaging remarks about his decision to come out.

4. Dick Whitman

That may have been what he meant. But what they were doing was observing the locker room culture, and evaluating whether the culture was ready for an openly gay player. That's quite different from "disparaging" his decision.

5. Point of Order

If they weren't disparaging why did they need anonymity?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Terrell Thomas - "The NFL might not be ready for a gay player"
    Makes some fair points. Give him credit for putting his name
    on it.

http://nypost.com/2014/02/12/giants-thomas-nfl-might-not-be-set-to-accept-sam/

7. Why was the "Aren't we beyond this?" anonymous? You'd think that sentiment would easily be one he could get somebody to stand behind with his name.

8. Dick Whitman

I don't know you'd have to ask them. I can only go by the content of the statements. They didn't disparage his decision.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Anybody who says anything that can be twisted into something other than, "Welcome to the NFL, Michael Sam, you are an inspiration, I hope you're drafted ahead of Bridgewater and Manziel and I also hope my kids grow up to be gay." is at risk to be ripped for giving their honest opinion.

Vilma said he's not comfortable showering with a gay player... OK, I think he's ignorant, but at least he gave an honest answer and said so on the record. Now he's a villain.

Even the GM saying, "Aren't we beyond this?" is at risk, because what if his team passes on Sam seven times in the draft. Is he now a liar?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My point is the smartest people are the ones saying nothing.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think that's probably true everywhere; message boards included.

12. Point of Order

So what's your point? Accountability for one's statements is the purpose of disfavoring anonymity. Online comment threads, hello? People are smart enough to evaluate "anybody who says anything" and come to their own conclusions about that person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.