1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That little fucking bee and the techno-pop music in the Honey Nut commercials may eventually lead me to murder someone. I'll plead temporary insanity.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Heard that one the other day. It's pretty bad.

Newest TV spot that grinds my gears? The latest Geico one with Maxwell, who's sitting on a beach (I think) and pays his bill by using the voice app on his phone. Commercial ends with him singing "boots and pants" -- or whatever the hell -- over and over.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The first Maxwell ad was funny, with him sitting in the backseat of the car yelling "Wheeee!"
    As soon as he became a regular character instead of a throwaway gag, he got incredibly annoying. And now, looking back on how he's evolved, even that first ad is a bit creepy. I mean, a grown pig/man, holding a pinwheel and riding in the backseat with a child?
    Icky.
    Makes me think in one where he's on the plane, he's heading to Thailand for a weekend of underage debauchery.
    In the one where he's pulled over by the cop, there's probably a body in the trunk.

4. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Some ad for something (I refuse to learn what the product is) starts out "What is focus?" then strings together 10-15 cliches. Good to know college football speechwriters can get jobs writing ad copy as well.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Any commercial which is vague yet intriguing enough to look up from the iPad, then it's just another effing car commercial.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes! I kept waiting for "bring your A-game" or "raise the roof" but it never materialized.

We're in a string of horrible radio commercials on national programs. Progressive Flo. The guy thanking me for "faithfully making my mortgage payments".

Good grief...

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

My latest one is Zertec or some cold/allergy one with people sneezing. The sneezes don't bother me. It's a sour-faced bitch who gives one of the sneezers the stink-eye. They're (presumably) in a theater and sneezee let's go with a dainty, high-pitched sneeze at which point SFB turns in her seat and gives the disapproving look.

Make me want to pummel her ass with a baseball bat.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think the Paul Giamatti-voiced Liberty Mutual "Humans" commercials are funny (especially the one when the guy throws the football into the flaming grill, which then goes into the tailgate of his SUV), but the latest one creeps me out.

There's a guy backing out of his driveway, who then stops when he sees a little girl on a tricycle riding behind him. He then proceeds to plow forward into his garage.

But for a second there, I think he's going to run over the little girl.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Agree.

Perhaps I'm hyper-sensitive on this, but I've covered four different instances of an adult running over a child or a grandchild in a driveway and killing them, including a state senator who did it. Just awful to even think of.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Pretty sure if I ever met someone like that, I'd make an effort to sneeze on her. Sorry if I have allergies so bad that I buy Kleenex in bulk and I have a box in every room of my house AND in my car. If I'm lucky, allergy meds work for me.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

This commercial has been getting heavy rotation during the Olympics - It's for an SUV (a Tahoe, I think). The parents come home and the baby sitter said the kids were good and went to bed. As the mom is driving her home, she sees how nice the SUV is - and changes her price from $40 to $60. Seriously. What a brat. Fine, I'll give you $60 - and I'll never hire you as a baby sitter again.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The AT&T Commercial where you can lock your home and shut everything off from anywhere isn't inherently bad, but if I had kids who left the TV blaring, the water running, the door unlocked and ever other electronic device going, I might go ape shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted