1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ralph Kiner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Left a great quote. "Singles hitters drive Fords. Home run hitters drive Cadillacs."
    A proto-sabermetrician?

More seriously, I never met him, but it's hard to lie on television, and the decency cited by the folks on this thread who did know him always came through on the air.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nice tribute from Jayson Stark, compiling many of the best "Kiner-isms." Includes the John Fogerty story:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/10419125/ralph-kiner-had-one-life-special-gifts-ability-laugh-himself

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I grew up with the Mets broadcasting trio too. I wish there was Youtube of the famous Kiner's Korner with George Carlin.

RIP

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Jayson Stark will now have to subsist on Rich Donnelly fabrications.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes he was. He only would do a handful of games each year at home, usually just an inning or two which he usually spent telling his stories and some years, he'd pop in at a spring training game.

For all intents and purposes, he was retired, but the Mets didn't want to actually force him out, so they'd let him drop by from time to time.

Draft saved Draft deleted