1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana public school actively promotes Christianity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which is fine, as long as all of the activities that you said the school does is voluntary, that nobody is judged if they don't participate, and that nobody is subjected to anything they don't want to listen to.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And those last two conditions are completely unrealistic.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

OK class, let's talk about the Pope, personally appointed by Jesus as the Vicar of Christ on earth.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No student in the history of high schools has ever "lined up" to get into an elective.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Not whining. I realize Christian Americans, for the most part, are the majority here, and, as such, are not the ones usually "put down." My point still stands, though. If another religion were at the center of this, I doubt we'd be hearing about it.

I also believe making much ado about something that I doubt people even truly care as much about as they say they do is what a lot of problems.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

[Post voluntarily deleted because the recipient ain't worth it.]

7. outofplace

Yes, you are whining. You are also trying to justify inexcusable behavior by the administration and staff at a public school with a ridiculous, strawman argument. The difference between your example and what is happening at that school has already been very well explained to you and you don't even want to try to understand.

Regarding your attempt to put this down as simple political correctness, there are plenty of people who care a great deal about the separation of church and state. The fact that you can't even fathom trying to understand what this kind of thing means to people who are part of a religious minority doesn't change that fact.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When do we ever hear of a public school promoting a religion other than Christianity? Especially when they do it at times such as the beginning of the school day or at a sporting event? Hardly ever. Yet, we hear constant examples of schools promoting Christianity. Part of that may be because Christians are the dominant religion in the U.S., but part of that also is this belief that the predominance gives them the right to dictate to the minority.

What schools do about other religions is what I said earlier. They teach about what they believe, their history, and why they believe it. They don't teach that it's the "right" religion and the others are "wrong", nor do they teach that "we're dominant, so it's too bad for you".

9. outofplace

Once again proving that you are very wise.

Draft saved Draft deleted