1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same Sex Couple Intro'd On Disney Channel Sitcom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jan 29, 2014.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://tv.msn.com/disney-introduces-same-sex-couple-on-good-luck-charlie/story/feature/

I am still mulling this one over after reading it. For one reason, it is a Disney Channel sitcom (I would expect Fox to push this envelope, not the so-called "kid & family friendly" channel.

Second, there will be an "overpopulation" of this now that this has happened, and I am sure that will bring out the so-called "culture warriors," some of whom can be as bad as the people they criticize.

I just think this was the wrong network & wrong show for this, and would like to avoid the clashes that follow.

OK.....Have at -- just try not to get it locked.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Good. Excellent, rather.

My kids have known same-sex couples in real life since before they even knew what sex was. And as a result, not only do they support gay rights and gay marriage and all that, they can't even see what the dispute is about.

If I don't want to hear about God, the answer is to turn the damn channel. So ... turn the damn channel if you don't like it.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What about same-sex couples isn't kid-friendly?

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Next step -- the Dog with a Blog is going to want to get married as well.

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

When I see other people are raising kids like this, I get happy.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Echoing what LTL said, my kids would not see this as envelope pushing but rather a reflection of what they see in every day life. There is the child of a samne sex couple in her class, we have a same sex couple in our neighborhood and my brother in law's mother has a same sex partner.

That being said the true issue is how craplicious so many of those Disney sitcoms are. I had to sit through many episodes of Suite Life of Zack and Cody, PCH, Miley Cyrus, etc not looking forward to round 2 with my youngest daughter.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I assume that the argument would be that introduces sexuality too early for children, though these shows often do that anyways (I've never seen them). There are good arguments in the other direction.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Of course. Why not. Can't have a TV show without making sure we shove the gay life down everybody's throat.

It is why network TV sucks and why the last new show I watched was probably, fuck, probably Cheers......

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Did you last through Cheers' first season?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boys_in_the_Bar

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

It's been a while since we had dog eat dog world managing to work "ramrod" into every one of his posts about gays. Guess we'll have to settle for this.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Naah, he'll pick up some bitch on the streets.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My kids watched it and either didn't notice or didn't care.

My oldest (7) has such a crush on Bridgit Mendler that this show is required viewing in our house.

Draft saved Draft deleted