1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The organic food thing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 6, 2013.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Dick, does it matter what any of us thinks? I'm not saying this to bust your chops, because I think it's fine when spouses work out certain areas where one of them is going to have automatic sway.

Isn't the question whether this article will have any influence on what your wife thinks?

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2013/01/facing-failing-health-on-a-vegan-diet/

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I really didn't see anything factual in that article. It was mostly appeals to arbitrary authorities, for example acceptable EPA "exposure limits."

The EPA has a lot of arbitrary and capricious guidelines. Throwing them out there as the final authority is meaningless to me. They will tell you how much radioactive material from a nuclear plant accident or dirty bomb attack is OK for you, for example.

Personally, I want no part of synthetic chemicals (that we can't know for sure whether or not they are harmful) near my food if I have a choice, the same way I don't want to live in a place with radioactive material in my environment.

Appealing to the EPA as an authority about what is and isn't OK doesn't really make me feel secure about my food having synthetic chemicals all over it.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

I enjoy having a healthy immune system.
    I like that my protein consumption gives me calcium retention.
    Listen - I'm not going to get into a battle of links with you.
    Claims that vegans have a lower rate of cancer than their conunterparts have been roundly contradicted.
    No difference in average bone loss. On down the line. It's all self-serving horseshit.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Somehow I doubt those who eat organic food or drink organic milk are going to stop based on that (or any other) article.

6. The Big Ragu

I didn't link to anything. And I didn't say anything remotely close to the bunch of straw in your post. Nothing about immune systems, calcium retention or veganism -- in fact, none of those things have anything to do with the topic of the thread or the story Dick linked to.

What you quoted from me simply said, "Nobody has any clue whether synthetic chemicals on your produce are bad for you. Not the woman who wrote that article, and not the EPA, which is the authority she largely appealed to. Telling me that the EPA has arbitrary acceptable limits personally doesn't give me any confidence that eating something that was sprayed with chemicals isn't worse for me than something that wasn't."

7. 3_Octave_Fart

Save the lecture.
    Dick made a comment about his late father's life choices.
    There are plenty of anecdotes out there that a vegan lifestyle has had deleterious health effects.

8. The Big Ragu

A "vegan lifestyle," adds nothing to a thread about whether organic foods make sense or not.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I do not plan on showing my wife this Slate article.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Smart. Sometimes it's better to keep the peace than to "be right"

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Do vegans who only eat organic think they're better than nonorganic vegans?

Where's the middle ground?
    Slurpees?

12. 3_Octave_Fart

Your use of confirmation bias on these threads add even less.

Draft saved Draft deleted