1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Associate Content Producer - CBSSports.com College Network (Carlsbad, CA)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by rodstewart33, Jan 21, 2014.

1. rodstewart33

rodstewart33 New Member

Job Title: Associate Content Producer
    Team: Operations
    Sub-Team: Digital Media Services
    Supervisor: Senior Manager, Digital Media Services
    Company Site: http://collegenetwork.cbssports.com/

Summary:
    The CBSSports.com College Network, a division of CBS Interactive, is the largest aggregation of online content, commerce and consumers focused on college athletics. Through its Official Athletic Sites (OAS), the CBSSports.com College Network provides online brand management, content delivery, consumer marketing, and business/commerce solutions to more than 120 university athletic departments, conferences and collegiate athletic organizations throughout the country.

Essential Duties:
    Primary responsibilities include updating OASs within an assigned group and providing general maintenance across the entire network. Duties include, but are not limited to, posting information provided by partner institutions, building promotional graphics, using wire copy and photos to update sites, monitoring live event statistics, and constructing web pages with proprietary software, HTML and CSS. This position does not involve writing original content.

Qualification Requirements:
    • Avid sports fan
    • Knowledge of the college sports landscape
    • Willingness to work some nights, holidays and weekends
    • Experience in a college athletics department, particularly in media relations or digital media, preferred
    • Ability to work well with others and proactively towards a goal
    • Excellent partner-facing communication skills, both oral and written
    • Very high-level of accuracy, keen attention to detail and problem solving capabilities
    • Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment to manage multiple projects and tight deadlines
    • Superior professionalism, discretion, and judgment
    • Copy editing/headline writing skills preferred
    • HTML, CSS and Photoshop experience desired

Education and/or Experience:
    • Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or related field preferred
    • Collegiate sports information or journalism experience desired

To Apply:
    Please submit cover letter and resume to:

Bo Rottenborn
    Senior Manager, Digital Media Services
    bo.rottenborn@cbsinteractive.com
    2035 Corte del Nogal, Suite 250
    Carlsbad, CA 92011

2. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Definitely entry level. Expect to earn in the low-to-mid 20s, from what I have heard.

3. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

Can you even live on that in California?

4. nbiz

nbiz New Member

Pretty sure this job was posted a few months ago. Not sure if they didn't find anyone or if there's a lot of turnover.

5. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

It's possible for a young professional to live on a salary in the mid-20s in Southern California, sure. But you might need a roommate -- or a couple roommates -- to make it work. Housing would be the biggest issue.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You can make better money as an assistant manager at Taco Bell.

Holy shit, that's fucked up. I guess CBS is a small company.

7. fourlittleletters

fourlittleletters New Member

I see this posting every few months and am always curious about it. I had a friend who worked here, and I asked him/her to fill me. This is what the person said:

"The first thing to know is that it's not actually with CBSSports.com as you know it -- it's CBS' college network, which runs athletics websites for certain schools (like GoCards.com for Louisville). So basically, you edit HTML, create webpages and photoshop graphics. The only real journalistic stuff you do is write headlines for AP stories that come across the wire for sports such as basketball and football. There is no writing or story editing involved at all.

All that being said, there are some positives. The office is primarily people just out of college, and it can be a fun group. Kathleen the manager, and Bo who made that post, are good people, and they would tell you any of the stuff I mentioned above honestly. Kathleen would tell you not to take the job if you want to write, and that it's more PR than journalism.

The pay is $16-18 an hour, and it's a contract position -- so no benefits but pretty much everyone gets renewed on their contracts. It would be rare for someone not to get renewed. It's possible to live in Carlsbad, which is a cool area in northern San Diego, on that money, but you certainly won't be rich."

PM me if you have any more questions, and I'll try to bug my friend again.

8. rweich

rweich New Member

I had a phone interview for this job the other day...
    It's a contract position.
    They said about $16 per hour.
    And it's not really journalism, it's more web site maintenance.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Posted again

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1540860

Description:

Summary:

CBS College Sports, a division of CBS Interactive, is the largest aggregation of online content, commerce and consumers focused on college athletics. Through its Official Athletic Sites (OAS), CBS College Sports provides online brand management, content delivery, consumer marketing, and business/commerce solutions to more than 130 university athletic departments, conferences and collegiate athletic organizations throughout the country.

Essential Duties:

Primary responsibilities include updating OASs within an assigned group and providing general maintenance across the entire network. Duties include, but are not limited to, posting information provided by partner institutions, building promotional graphics, using wire copy and photos to update sites, monitoring live event statistics, and constructing web pages with proprietary software, HTML and CSS. Please note, this is not a writing job.

Qualification Requirements:

HTML, CSS and Photoshop experience
    Avid sports fan
    Copy editing/headline writing skills
    Able to work nights and weekends, some holidays
    Excellent partner-facing communication skills, both oral and written
    Very high-level of accuracy, keen attention to detail and problem solving capabilities
    Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment to manage multiple projects and tight deadlines
    Education and/or Experience:

Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or related field
    Collegiate sports information or journalism experience desired

Please submit a resume and cover letter to be considered for this opening. Please note, this is a contract job.

Draft saved Draft deleted