1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you pay for access to any online newspaper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 10, 2014.

1. doctorx

doctorx Member

No.

One site in my area is really screwed up. I clicked on it and was greeted by a message that told me I had reached my number of free stories for the month and that I was welcome to subscribe.

It was New Year's Day.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I don't get e-editions, but I get the Denver Post's Kindle edition. I actually like it a lot. It's only $6 a month, a fraction of a print subscription, so I feel it's affordable and a value. Very easy to ready and it contains everything storywise in the paper. Easier to navigate than the website, too. Sometimes when there are story packages they get out of order and it's hard to figure that out, but I don't have many complaints otherwise.

I probably wouldn't pay a lot more than that for it, though. If anything because the total content just isn't there. Some days I can go through the whole thing in 10 minutes. Probably another reason to not pay for online, or really any of this stuff. The quantity and quality of content is just rarely there across the board any more.

3. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

Does your place accuse employees who don't kiss ass or tout the company line of being negative too? Or is that a universal newspaper attribute?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pay for NYT. I don't read it every day on my iPhone but I love that it's there. Clean app, too.

I'll confess, once I hit the 15-views paywall on the local Gannetteer, I open a different browser. I justify it by saying "I do pay for media!" ... just not theirs.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sounds like a Gannett paper. :D

6. accguy

accguy Member

I pay for my local paper. We have subscriptions for the NYT and WSJ through work.

I do have a subscription to Next Issue, a great tablet app which is basically Netflix for magazines.

Draft saved Draft deleted