1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Kluwe burning bridges

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Mizzou mentioned Kerry Rhodes earlier. I think that's where the real "what's wrong with this picture" story would be. All accounts are that Rhodes played well in 2012 and still had plenty to offer as a player. He plays a position that carries a higher demand for good talent than a position such as punter. Plenty of teams this season needed help at safety. No report ever about him asking for too much money.

And yet it seemed he couldn't even get an invite to visit a team. So what's going on?

Another though on Rhodes: Why didn't the Patriots ever bring him in? Aren't they the team that knows how to nip distractions in the bud? Aren't they the team that traded for Chad Johnson and Albert Haynesworth and let Tim Tebow come to their training camp?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What do you want to bet in 10 years or less Richie Incognito is a 'rising star' among the ranks of OL coaches in the NFL???

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

They have a good approach. Whenever there's a shitstorm, pretty much the first thing they tend to do is retain some independent law firm to handle the investigation (it's a wise approach, because there's no danger of a sweeping-under-the-rug of any criminal acts that may have been uncovered). Investigators who bill by the hour tend to have a strong incentive to: 1) keep their mouths shut until the investigation's complete; and 2) not get into any really big hurry completing said investigation.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Different kind of distraction. Johnson and Haynesworth knew they had to be on their best behavior or they'd get cut. They knew Tebow would do what they told him to. There's no precedent here.

It would be interesting what would happen if Rhodes winds up on a roster. Does anyone ask him the question directly or is everything vague? Why weren't you on a roster last year Kerry? If the team had such a need at safety why wait so long to bring him in? Teams and the league don't want these questions asked.

Unless they pull off the "everybody comes out at once" deal that Ayanbadejo was talking about last year, The first openly gay player in any of the professional leagues in all likelihood will be someone who is outed against their will or comes out because they're worried about being outed by someone else, which initially, is what happened early on with actors in Hollywood. There will be a police report where someone is referred to as a boyfriend, much like what happened with the former 49ers player.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is not true. I remember a PFT item -- don't know if it was linked or he made his own calls -- that said a few teams had inquired about Rhodes, but he wasn't that interested in playing and was asking a king's ransom to motivate him. It could have been the NFL establishment covering its ass, but the idea has definitely been mainstream.

6. Mizzougrad96

Agreed. It also doesn't hurt that the NFL's weekly schedule is set up in a way where for the regular beat writers, chasing a story like this during the season is next to impossible, especially these days with most staffs half the size of what they once were. If there is news happening, that's one thing, but anything that requires someone to dig deep is likely to get pushed to the side unless a paper has the resources to dedicate to it.

I thought they said at one point the Incognito-Martin ruling was supposed to come in December. Maybe it will come out the Friday before the Super Bowl when it's sure to be buried and quickly forgotten.

7. Mizzougrad96

Did that come out right after the column, I don't remember who wrote it, about how he hadn't been brought in for a single workout this season?

It would be interesting if anybody has tried to talk to Rhodes. I wonder if anybody has tried to talk to the guy who is trying to out Rodgers. I realize it's not a story anyone wants to write or pursue and it's easy for people to say, "Oh, that's private, I'm not going there."

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The investigation begins:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/238629281.html

Legal types, and such.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not sure how much Kluwe's issues had to do with him being released. But if you are going to "come out" and make things like that public, don't expect everyone to stand up and applaud. Say whatever you want, but don't be shocked at the backlash.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or, the first openly gay player is someone who came out early, like in high school, and had enough ability to move up the ladder to the pro ranks without his sexuality becoming an issue.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I've read the Preifer statement, and I'm not sure he's completely denying making the statement about herding the gays on an island to be napalmed. What exactly is he denying?

12. Giggity

Giggity Member

Words matter. Framing matters. This is what we do for a living, so we are acutely aware of this.

Draft saved Draft deleted