1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Quick opens up about leaving the Blazers' beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 20, 2013.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

So I certainly understand not wanting to put yourself in a position to answer questions that might harm your relationships with sources. And I certainly understand justifying that by telling yourself that your readers will get better information if you maintain somewhat cordial relations with the PR staff. But it is extraordinarily troubling that you would flat-out lie to readers and listeners.

2. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

According to the Oregonian sports' top 10 website page views for the past week, Jason's piece on Behind the Locker Room Door was No. 1.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right, because we all want anything we've said in a private conversation while frustrated to be thrown back at us in a public forum.

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

It is unfortunate your co-host put you in a bad position.* It does not give you a license to lie, though.

* Indeed, like I said, I certainly understand trying to avoid those situations.

5. You mean what reporters try to do with sources?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm still trying to figure out why Quick opened his mouth in a public forum to begin with.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Simers got fired from ATH for making fun of the show in print.

Whitlock got fired from ESPN for talking to The Big Lead.

I'm sure there are other cases, but those are the two that jump out at me.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Big bump here -- he's back on the beat.

Jason Quick ‏@jwquick 30 Dec
    Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed covering this Oregon football team. What a class bunch of young men. They were fun, engaging & interesting

Jason Quick ‏@jwquick 30 Dec
    Part of me wishes I would stick on them to see what will probably be a memorable run next season. But ... I am headed back to the Blazers.

I don't know enough about the individuals (coach/GM/PR/etc.) to guess about how his return will be received, but this is awkward to say the least.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know - I'm guessing the O's management realizes they can't put out enough Blazers stuff now and figure he could help out. Portland's kind of a weird town. The Timbers might be the most popular team in the region right now - but the NBA is the NBA. The decision might be a management thing.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How many people do they have on that beat?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Typically it has been two on the beat, one doing the gamer, the other doing the side, and they have a video person, Canzano and perhaps another for home games.

12. Giggity

Giggity Member

No disrespect, but the Timbers are an exceptionally distant third. The Ducks hold the status of an NFL team, and this Blazers team is catnip for anybody who's been in Portland longer than two years.

Draft saved Draft deleted