1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Hereford (Texas) Brand

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Dec 17, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Immediate opening for a hard-working, take-charge sports editor for a semi-weekly Texas Panhandle newspaper. Must be willing to work some nights as well as full work week. Must be able to relocated quickly. Gas allowance, paid vacation and health insurance coverage provided. Annual salary range from $25,000 to $27,000. Must have reliable transportation and must be able to work well with other employees and the public.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1551369

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You can cover the Whitefaces!

3. That place stinks to high heaven, literally.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They call themselves the Herd now.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

This was my first newspaper job out of college. In 1989. The Brand had one of the first two fax machines in town.

Back then, it was a five-day-a-week gig. If it's twice weekly now, it's got to be all local, all the time.

The official nickname for the high school teams is still Whitefaces, but Herd fits so much better when writing a two-column head. In 36-point type, Lady Whitefaces used up one line.

Way back when, I covered pretty much everything from seventh grade through varsity and had to shoot my own art for everything but varsity football. I can only hope they have digital cameras now. I also hope they've adopted some kind of pagination software as opposed to the cut-and-paste format I used.

There was a Catholic school in town that went through sixth grade and played some basketball. Summer was taken up with golf and youth baseball/softball.

This is definitely an entry-level gig. There will be stuff going on at least three days a week during the school year, more once spring sports start.

The town was about 16,000 people when I was there and the high school had about 1,200 kids. Looking at the recent realignment numbers, the population has remained steady. Because of the area is so dependent on agriculture, the population has become increasingly Hispanic over the last three or four decades.

The main industry is cattle feeding and feed lots (and the attendant odor) surround the town. Vegetarians need not apply.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, we all realize the Whiteface name references the white face/head of a the Hereford breed, right?

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Years ago I was in a van somewhere in West Texas after running cross country outside Lubbock. Coach turned on the radio and a play by play guy goes "Whitefaces ball on their own 37." Everyone was like what the fuck until he said the name of the school. Then about half of us got it.

Draft saved Draft deleted