1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I was trying to say when I typed converse. No idea where that came from.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The joke I like is "Every kiss begins with Kay? I bet more kisses begin with Miller Light."

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think awareness is a good way to boost sales.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

All rightie, we have a new contender that is annoying the shite out of me every time I hear that voice ...

Yes, folks. I'm talking about the Dewar's Scotch commercials that permeate every soccer game I watch. You know the one's: the fairly attractive woman with the brogue that will peel paint yammering like some Scottish distaff Jean-Paul Sartre about "acting serious" or some such incomprehensible blather as she talks to some mythic "Angus."

Meanwhile, she's fondling the glass of Dewar's like it's Angus' member she hacked off and saved as a souvenir.

"Go back to sleep, Angus, darling?" How about you put the scotch down, Peggy Noonan-with-a-brogue, and go back whence you came. Oh, and Angus would like his penis back, thanks.

Seriously, how does this get through anyone with authority? Attractive women can sell stuff; yes. Attractive women with obnoxious brogues blathering incomprehensible nonsense couldn't sell me the greatest Scotch in the world.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well said, Birdscribe. Besides, Dewars isn't even the best blended Scotch in the world. Who is that ad aimed at anyway?

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

New contender has moved to the front in areas served by C-Spire, a cellular service provider, with its butchery of Aretha Franklin's "Think."

I'm having nightmares of "Freedom, freedom freeeeee-dom, oh-woah freedom." It was especially ubiquitous at the stadium for last weekend's high school football championships, since C-Spire was a corporate sponsor.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's Claire Forlani, the B-minus list actress who, while quite hot, is about as Scottish as Idi Amin.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Dewar's is a nice gateway to Scotch, for those trying to break into it.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Agreed. But also waiting for them to partner up with April Wine's "If You See Kay"....

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Every fucking Dish Network ad with the Dish screen being snarky to the idiotic DirecTV screen.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Those suck out loud, but the Dish (DishNet) ad that never fails to (unintentionally) crack me up is when a rube comes on with his girlfriend to give his testimonial.

"Weth DishNet, I ken do anythin' I want awn the enter-net."

He has this grin on his face that screams, "I've got a webcam, a butt plug, two bottles of Mad Dog 20/20 for my lady, and Bob Dylan's Lay Lady Lay. I'm going to get my DishNet money's worth."

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The new Men's Wearhouse ads since they parted ways with George Zimmer.

I liked Zimmer in the spots a lot - largely as they usually carried a message within the merchandise. Now it's just another store that is trying the Jos. A. Bank pricing scheme of mark up to mark down.

Used to spend about $1,500 a year at MW for work clothes. The commercials without Zimmer have kept me from spending a dime there in 2013.

Draft saved Draft deleted