1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved that book, guys. I think Lucas Mann has a Great American Novel in him somewhere down the line.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

One quick point here, Greenhorn. Failure to squash McCarthy aside, Eisenhower was sort of the standard-bearer for the last gasp of anti-reactionary behavior from the GOP.

That said, this sounds interesting. Dewey and his running mate, the great Earl Warren (who was secretly happy this ticket lost), were part of that liberal branch of internationalist Republicans that thrived in the middle of the 20th century.

If this interested you, Greenhorn, run -- do not walk -- and pick up "1948" by David Pietrusza. It chronicles that election in great detail and Pietruza is a great writer who keeps the facts and the prose moving right along in readable, interesting fashion. This type of book is right in his wheelhouse; he wrote "1920. The Year of Six Presidents" and "1960" about the crossing of Nixon, JFK and LBJ.

What he does in all three books is focus on the election of that year, the principals, what went into it and the historical ramifications of what happened as a result. All three are fun and interesting reads that will enlighten your historical mental Samsonite.

This. On steroids. "The March" was absolutely awful from start to are-we-there-yet finish. "Ragtime" was marginally better. Neither will sell you on Doctorow anytime soon.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I just read "Fighting Words" by Jerry Beach, which is about media coverage of the Red Sox. I thought it was well-done and interesting.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm halfway into The Fat Lady Sang by Robert Evans.

Tremendous and laugh-out-loud funny. Anyone who reads Drew Magary's NFL Jamboroo is familiar with the writing style of Mr. Evans. And Magary's impression is dead on.

5. Mira

Mira Member

Just got done with "Sycamore Row" by John Grisham. It's been a long time since I read Grisham and really thought the plot and characters really were good in this one. Compelled to get it because the New York Times liked it, and I was shocked they'd like Grisham.

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Crazy 08

I really liked it. The author very much is writing through modern eyes, yet she is respectful of that time in history. I think the time outs are good for atmosphere, you get a feel of what really was going on in 1908. What was on people's minds.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The poor, poor martyr. What a self-loving, oblivious hack he is.

8. Mira

Mira Member

Reading "Five Days at Memorial" by Sheri Fink. Can't put it down. It's about Memorial Hospital during Hurricane Katrina. Fink is one heck of an investigative journalist. Riveting book ... reads like a novel.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just arrived yesterday via Amazon. Eager to get started on that one

10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I finished it over Thanksgiving, and it was fantastic. If I didn't know it actually happened, it would be completely unbelievable.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Chris Matthews just felt a tingle down his leg.

Draft saved Draft deleted