1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas elected to Baseball Hall of Fame; Biggio just misses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 26, 2013.

?

Who will be elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame this year?

Poll closed May 25, 2014.
  1. Jeff Bagwell

21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Craig Biggio

33 vote(s)
    45.8%
  3. Barry Bonds

29 vote(s)
    40.3%
  4. Roger Clemens

27 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. Tom Glavine

51 vote(s)
    70.8%
  6. Jeff Kent

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Greg Maddux

68 vote(s)
    94.4%
  8. Edgar Martinez

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  9. Don Mattingly

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  10. Fred McGriff

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  11. Mark McGwire

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  12. Jack Morris

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  13. Mike Mussina

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  14. Rafael Palmeiro

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  15. Mike Piazza

20 vote(s)
    27.8%
  16. Tim Raines

26 vote(s)
    36.1%
  17. Curt Schilling

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  18. Lee Smith

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  19. Sammy Sosa

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  20. Frank Thomas

48 vote(s)
    66.7%
  21. Alan Trammell

10 vote(s)
    13.9%
  22. Larry Walker

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: 2014 BBWAA Baseball Hall of Fame ballot released

Glavine and Maddux are no-brainers. Thomas should be in. He was the marketable face of baseball for most of the 90s until McGwire/Sosa.

I personally feel Biggio and Morris belong. Biggio a roider? Really?

I also think Bonds was HOFer before he ever set foot in Candy Land.

2. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone has attached the "Roids" tag to Biggio...only his more beefy buddy Bagwell.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

in a vacuum your argument bares some semblance of rationality, except that no one has ever been deemed worthy enough to vote for without regard to who else is on the ballot. Some one always has an excuse why a bunch of idiots didn't vote for Hank Aaron, Mays, Musial, Mantle, Williams ....

So you can come up with an argument that excuses 30 ignorant writer.voters on Maddux, but what asshole writer didn't have room for Aaron. And it's a lie to say they didn't have room because 1 racist voter only voted a Latino player the year Aaron was elected. So that writer chose to leave 9 names off his list. Your argument assumes that every writer votes for all 10, that argument reveals ignorance or deceit on your part. What the argument to leave Maddux off a ballot if the voter votes for less than10?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Holy fucking shitballs, I'm not nefariously editing anything out of your posts. My entire scenario is a 100 percent above-board spitball of why someone might not vote for Maddux other than the first-ballot iron curtain. You are exasperating.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The era is filthy, why would it shock you if Biggio was?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm sure being called out for your trolling is exasperating for you. Simple solution there. Stop doing it.

You have repeatedly taking the primary point out of my posts, even very short ones. Just another example of your dishonesty.

Your argument is bullshit and you know it. The "first-ballot iron curtain" is exactly what will keep Maddux short of 100 percent and even you know it. You just aren't honest enough to admit it.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Not only that, but DiMaggio was elected in his third year on the ballot. He got 44.3 percent (behind 8 guys) in 1953. He got to 69.4 percent the next year (behind Maranville, Dickey and Terry) and then was elected with 88.8 percent.

8. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

There is at least one voter who has written multiple columns saying that he will not vote for Biggio because of his PED use.

I don't see any reasonable argument for voting for Thomas and not Bagwell, unless you've appointed yourself PED judge and jury, and there's no convincing evidence that Bagwell used. Getting bigger doesn't mean he used PEDs.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Suspicion of Biggio is based almost entirely on his being a teammate of Ken Caminiti.

10. outofplace

Yet another example of the idiocy of some of the voters and another reason why the only time PED use should be held against a player is if he failed a drug test or admitted to using. Leaving it to a judgement call is not appropriate given the piss-poor judgement so many of these folks display so often.

11. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

So basically Bonds' numbers don't seem suspicious to you? Is that your point?

12. outofplace

Not even close to my point. I know I say this a lot, but that was one hell of a failure in reading comprehension on your part.

The Ruth comparison doesn't work because there are other factors in their career trajectories. That's the problem with so many people like you trying to draw conclusions based on incomplete evidence. You just don't care how far you have to stretch and you constantly confuse opinion and fact.

Draft saved Draft deleted