1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, The Messenger, Madisonville, KY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Don Perryman, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Don Perryman

Don Perryman Member

The Messenger, an award-winning daily newspaper located in Madisonville, KY, has an opening for a sports writer.

The successful candidate will have the ability to quickly turn around gamers while also writing interesting advances and feature stories. The coverage area includes two counties with four high schools that compete in a number of sports, including football, basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball, track and field, cross country, swimming and archery.

The ability to produce outdoors material is a plus.

Proficiency in the use of Apple computers, Photoshop and social media such as Facebook and Twitter is required. Our sports reporters are sometime called on to take photos of events and process them for publication.

The two-person sports staff has no layout responsibilities.

The Messenger is a six-day daily Paxton Media newspaper. The paper won the 2012 Kentucky Press Association's General Excellence Award and is routinely ranked among the top publications in its division.

The sports writers work five-day, 40-hour weeks with an alternating Saturday schedule.

Madisonville is centrally located in western Kentucky near the beautiful lakes region. It is one hour and a half hours northwest of Nashville and is an excellent jumping off point to a number of larger midwestern and southern cities such as Louisville, Lexington, Indianapolis, Cincinnati and St. Louis.

The Messenger offers a competitive salary with health benefits and a 401(k) plan.

Send cover letter, resume and clips to Don Perryman, managing editor, at dperryman@the-messenger.com — or to The Messenger, attn: Don Perryman, P.O. Box 529, Madisonville, KY 42431. Please, no phone calls.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Why does a daily newspaper publish just six times a week?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Some only publish three days a week now.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

This is not uncommon in smaller markets with some papers not publishing editions on either Saturdays or Mondays.

5. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

I was a sports writer for a small-town "daily" newspaper in Ohio that put out seven papers each week, however Sunday was an off-day for the editorial staff. The papers were printed elsewhere... The Sunday paper was done Saturday night (after the high school games were finished and box scores were gotten, that had played on Saturday night) and the Monday paper was done in the wee hours of the morning on Monday.

It wasn't a full 24 hours off, but it was one evening we could do something besides sit in the news room and write.

A lot of smaller papers, though, are reducing their number of days to print to save money. This sounds like a nice little job, though, and I'd love the chance to get back into the job market at this one.

6. Don Perryman

Don Perryman Member

We do not publish on Monday. I'm not sure that the size of the paper dictates the number of times it publishes each week. My last paper was a mid-sized daily (approx. 80,000 circ.) in New England that also published six days per week.

I am going to begin reviewing resumes later today. I'd like to fill the position quickly. If you're interested please get your info to me ASAP. The sports writer who is leaving has been here for more than 3 1/2 years. His last day is Dec. 10. There are no in-house candidates for the job. — Don

Draft saved Draft deleted