1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How he finally met the mother (Season 9)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Sep 23, 2013.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I thought the last scene was OK, but I think it would've had a lot more impact if we had gotten to see Ted and his future wife actually meet and get to know each other some first. Doesn't hit nearly as hard as it would if we had some kind of connection to her.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I can't keep up with the timeline, but when was the scene with Ted with his child? I thought it was closer in time than two years, but I could be way off.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The end moment was not earned. We've seen Ted and the Mother interact a total of two times now. Obviously we know he is eventually going to propose and the first glimpse of them together was promising, but in no way did him getting down on one knee carry the emotional impact it should have.
    Like Sepinwall, Mrs. AppGrad05 and I are out. Maybe we'll check back in at the end.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've discussed or read the opinions of about 15 people on that episode. Alan Sepinwall and Appgrad05 are the only ones who didn't really like it. Many loved it.

How you could say the proposal was unearned is ridiculous. We've been building for nine seasons.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

We've spent more time with Ted and Blah Blah than we have Ted and the Mother. That's how.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm gonna come down in between. I thought the episode was OK, but nothing amazing or anything.

I agree that I'm having trouble caring that much about Ted/Mother proposal given that we still don't have anything but writer fiat supporting how amazing they are together.

But I thought it worked at least to some degree because we know how much Ted himself has earned that moment. We've seen him try to manufacture memorable moments for so long, that I think it hits home to see him propose without a lot of his usual pretense.

I thought the mother in the lighthouse scene looked a *lot* like a cross between Lily and Robin.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I assumed the $100 was a tip for Linus, not the payment for the drinks itself.

Also, I'm not a huge Alyson Hannigan fan (though I would), but I thought she looked absolutely stunning in that gray dress.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

And if Robin wasn't marrying Barney and was on the other end of the proposal, it would've been great. But with a virtual stranger, it doesn't strike the same chord as a proposal like Jim and Pam on "The Office" or Ben and Leslie on "Parks and Rec." It was nice seeing Ted pop the question, but it lacked the impact that the moment could have and should have had if they had played it later in the season after we knew the mother more.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

So far, we know that he's in love with the idea of being in love. But other than knowing that the mother is the one that he marries, we know nothing about her to justify why she is the perfect choice for him.

So for me, unearned.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Every long series limps home, particularly every comedy series. They're consciously trying to do something out of the ordinary with the final season. I cut them a lot of slack for that.

So, the last scene didn't bother me. And the rest of the episode was good.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Y'all make reasonable points. But I don't think that ruins the proposal, and it certainly doesn't ruin the episode, which otherwise was very good with a lot of laughs and a definitely earned moment between Robin and Ruth Fisher.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It does, however, go back to the issue with the entire approach. Rather than having them meet and then giving us at least a full season of the relationship to see why they were so perfect together, to let us actually see the relationship, they are only giving us these little snapshots. They are good little snapshots, but they certainly don't trump the relationship they built between Ted and Robin.

Draft saved Draft deleted