1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photo credit within the same company...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by young-gun11, Oct 23, 2013.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

The company I work for has several newspapers in its chain. We all use a single FTP-like site to share these photos. Today, as I designed my page, I was told the CEO of the company directly told my publisher not to use the photog's name in the byline. Instead, we are to simply put "Photo courtesy of Podunk Times".

I have a problem with this because I feel like the photog should get credit for their work. While maybe not illegal to leave their name off the byline (although this could be illegal, no?) it seems unethical.

At a previous chain, we used "Big Chain Photo by Jim Bob Cooter" ...

How do other chains approach this issue? I would like to have some sort of documentation to show my publisher how others do this same type of thing.

2. If it's already owned by your company, there's no "courtesy of" needed. Courtesy photos are free handouts.

Use of a freelance photographer's byline depends on that particular person's contract, but you're talking about staff photographers so the company can do whatever it wants.

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

We've never had a set guideline to follow until now. In the past we've used several things, one of them being "Podunk Times photo". I've even put my paper's name in the byline and used the photog's name just as if that person works for my paper: "Podunk Weekly photo by Jim Bob Cooter"

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I understand the sentiment, but pick your battles wisely. This doesn't seem like one worth fighting.

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

It's a company policy. Your thoughts don't matter.
    There is no law that says a photog has to be credited, just like a reporter doesn't have to be credited. Essentially, they are all employees and the copyright on the work belongs to the company, not the employee.
    It doesn't matter if feel it's right or wrong, it's the publishers call. You can make a case against it, but I wouldn't push the issue.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Your paper's policy is whatever your superior says it is.

I've been in situations where it went something like this:

STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER PHOTO
    Daily Screech photo by Snappy Shooter

CHAIN PHOTO
    Screech News Service photo by Bigcity Shooter

STRINGER PHOTO
    Random Stringer/For the Daily Screech

Handout photo
    Photo courtesy Joe Schmoe PR (agency or individual name)

7. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Starman, I appreciate your input. You actually answered my question. Thanks!

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

We've always used names in that situation and it seems extremely odd that the CEO would actually be concerned about the wording on a photo byline.

Having said, echo the idea that there's no moral right/wrong, the policy is whatever the boss says it is, as long as its consistent across all platforms and there's no formal company stylebook that says something else.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There is certainly no ironclad industry standard, that's for sure.

If it's not up to you to decide, do whatever you are told; if you are given some input and want to change something, have a reason to back it up.

The examples I used above had to do with whether the photos are work-for-hire provided by staff members, content provided by your chain for member papers, stringer photos purchased on a per-piece basis or free material volunteered by outside contributors.

10. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

This is what we do too

11. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

CEO is an idiot. Why should a photographer's work be any less worthy of credit than a writer. Put "Story courtesy of Podunk Times" next time you run one if you want prove a point.

If you're trained as a reporter, first thing they teach you is to ask "Why?" I don't think it's be starting a fight or making a big deal about it if you asked that question to your publisher.

If that individual doesn't have the balls to ask the CEO, then you learn something about them. If the CEO says, "Cuz I said so," then you know you're working for a dickish asshole.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Except you might not be working for the dickish asshole anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted